Lenstip reviews Panasonic 35-100/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Lenstip has just posted a review of the Panasonic X 35-100mm f/2.8 lens.

They seem pretty pleased with it, and sharpness looks good except at 100mm f/2.8. Fairly similar performance to the 12-35/2.8. As usual, uncorrected distortion is high (though irrelevant if one uses a mainstream RAW converter).
    • Like Like x 3
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    That's quite an odd outlier at 100mm f/2.8.

I actually had to check the other lens reviews for the m43 primes. Wow. At f/2.8 to f/4.0 both the 12-35 and 35-100 come very close, if not surpassing their prime cousins.

People will scoff at the price of this lens but again, a) you get what you pay for and b) it's the only native lens option.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    True enough. I do hope they get around to reviewing some of the other m4/3 telephoto options, to get a better feeling for just what $1500 gets you though.
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    It's so useful for an event photographer, which is probably where Panasonic set its sights; the price bolstered by being first one out of the starting gate combined with what Canon's been getting for the equivalent focal length in a larger and heavier form factor.
  5. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    $1500 is a bit steep. I got mine on Amazon shipped from Japan for $1200, and it came with a free pair of chopsticks. I used "Asuka from japan", the one with free 3-day shipping from the "more buying options" page, and it arrived safe and sound pretty quickly.