1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lenstip Review of the Olympus 75mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by danska, Oct 5, 2012.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks really good. I guess the Voigtlander 25/0.95 edges it slightly in center resolution, but other than that, I don't know what more one could ask for.

It allows you to compare with other lenses they've tested (all on the E-PL1). If they tested it on the E-M5, that wouldn't be possible.

DH

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    That makes perfect sense! :redface:

Would have been cool to maybe see how much more the EM-5 was capable of, but I imagine the resolution results are out there.

4. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    EDIT: scrap that.

Indeed, an amazing lens. If it weren't for its hefty price tag of 899€ (although I guess it's worth every Cent), I'd already have it.

Don't think though, that it's sharper on the OM-D than on the sensors with a weaker AA filter like PL1/2.

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Are you saying you know for sure that the AA filter on the PL1/2 is weaker than on the OM-D? I've been wondering about that question myself because the outdoor landscape jpegs my OM-D delivers aren't quite as bright and sharp as my PL1, so I've wondered whether or not the OM-D might have a stronger AA filter than the PL1/2?

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes contrary to bhupinder's belief, Micro Four Thirds does not revolve around the OMD....:wink: :tongue:

BTW, all my M. Zuiko 75mm shots are on my E-PL2 :smile:

7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    You are correct sir, actually the entire universe revolves around the OM-D. Well actually the entire universe revolves around 5 Axis IBIS.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Sure it will.

EPL2 Resolution RAW Crop:
    [​IMG]

OM-D Resolution RAW Crop:
    [​IMG]

The EPL2 does very well for what it does at just nearly 2300 LPH, but the OM-D is pushing 2600 LPH easily.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In analog to digital conversion the sampling rate has to be twice the frequency of the highest frequency being converted. If the original source has frequencies above that frequency (Nyquist frequency) it has to be filtered out to avoid alias content (typically moire patterns in pictures).

For digital cameras, the sensor pixel pitch (distance between pixels) establishes the sampling frequency: the smaller the pitch the higher the frequency. The higher the frequency the finer the detail (sharpness) the sensor can record. (The 16 mp OM-D sensor, has a finer pitch than the 12 mp sensors.)

Filters are generally described by their cutoff frequency and slope of the roll-off characteristics. An AA filter used in front of a finer pitched sensor can have a higher cutoff frequency. Since both the EPL-1/2 and the OM-D exhibit moire patterns (under the right conditions), they both have relatively weak AA filters, the OM-D captures smaller details (sharper pictures) than the 12 mp cameras. I have an EPL-2 & OM-D and the OM-D produces sharper files, particularly with the good primes.

FYI, the reason the tester uses the EPL-1 is that it doesn't make manipulate the RAW files the way the other m4/3 cameras do.

• Like Like x 1