1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LensTag - Worth Paying For?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Aushiker, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Having come across LensTag for the first time in the Gear Accounting thread and having now added my gear I am considering paying the US$20 for the monitoring service.

The free version is monthly notification and you cannot exclude websites, so the $20 gets more frequent notifications and you can exclude websites such as 500px to I assume reduce the false positives.

Before jumping in and giving it go I was curious as to whether others are using the service and if so how have you found it?

Thanks in advance.

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I know you are in Australia, but you can register your photos with the US Copyright office. It is very cheap. Since Australia does not have any way to register your works, registering with the US office may lend a bit of credibility to you demanding that a site take down your shot and provides a nice evidence that you are indeed the Copyright holder to the work.

If you haven't then one question would be is money better spend on registering your works or monitoring for infringement?

Is the extra $20 per year, one time, monthly, ???

Edited to add: also if the infringement occurs in the USA and you actually need to take someone to court, a law firm won't take the case unless the work is registered. No idea how it works down your way.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's $20 per year (discounted for a limited time, normally $29 per year). 1 alert per month is probably enough for me. After I get my gear verified I'll see how much spam I get...

4. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I think I will do the same ... see how it works out before going further with it.