1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

lensrentals series on AF

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Aug 1, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I already know this from using LV on my D7000, and the consistently more accurate AF of my µ4/3 cameras.

BTW, Canon's tech guy, Chuck Westfall once posted on the Canon AF system, and it is a hybrid closed/open loop control system.

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Not following it, but read it after your heads-up, thanks. I'm not surprised at what I've read. Short summary: PDAF accuracy varies. Roger talks about micro-adjustment which was called AF fine-tune on my Nikon D300s. My experience concurs with the articles: also after micro-adjustment there is variability between shots in focussing accuracy with PDAF with the same lens. I often used to shoot a few pics just to pick the sharpest one afterwards.

Roger Cicala did not mention the problems you can have with zoom lenses on a DSLR. The optimal AF fine-tune on my D300s would generally vary across the zoom range, which made a Nikkor 12-24mm unusable for me. The Tokina 11-16mm was a little bit better, but not enough. Mind you, I guess there's a lot of sample variation involved here. The Nikkor 70-300/4.5-5.6 VR lens was the only lens that focussed really well, after an AF fine-tune adjustment. IIRC some Olympus DSLR's enable different adjustments across the zoom range, that may alleviate the problem to a certain extent.

These AF problems are the main reason I won't consider a DSLR again. I still am kind of exhilarated that pictures are focussed accurately each and every time on the G1 and GH2, unless I have done something wrong (which is kind of hard to do). And using MF lenses on them is a dream, I've never been able to focus even as remotely accurately before. For the record: I'm an avid pixel-peeper, I want things to be sharp at 100 % viewing, so that I can print big if I want to.

4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    The Olys that do have this feature are the E-3, E-30, E-620 and E-5. And it does help -- alot :eek:  -- on my E-620 and E-5.

:thumbup::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.