1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lensrentals 25mm prime lens comparison

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Steven, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
  2. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Thanks for the link. I love reading Roger's blog posts, partly because they're so geeky, and partly for his irreverent writing style.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. magIBIS

magIBIS Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    It shows nicely, that the cheapest lens is already quite nice and you get options for improvement in different ways for additional cost. And it's because of r&d, scaling and marketing that little improvement comes at high cost. What is most interesting to me, is his statement about the bad service of high cost voightlander lenses and the bigger than I expected sample variation of the pl1.4 and o1.2. one could argue, that the PL with it's simple design should be able to do better more easily than the complex Oly, but the production line will be quite newer of the latter. In the end I take from it: in mft you can't pay more and be safe - you have to check the copy regardless of the price and marketing.

4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Did he really say that the ‘bad’ copies of the lenses were bad though? I understand he pointed out high sample variation, especially for the PL25. It wasn’t clear to me, however, that he was saying the bad copies were bad, or just not as good as the better copies.

Also, maybe I’m being defensive because I own and like the PL25, but isn’t the way he tests lenses pretty clinical and limited in what he tests? I mean, sometimes a lens renders in a way that is pleasing, but it may not necessarily be as ‘sharp’ as other lenses.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the blog post, but I would actually like to see photo examples and other lens characteristics taken into account.

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yay, my 25/1.8 ranks nicely!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Sure. Every review is usually done to whatever the reviewer is interested. To your point, sharpness isn't everything, but he is testing optics on an optics bench so there you would be looking at the technical details such as lines of resolution rather than how dreamy and soft are your out of focus areas. This is why some still enjoy shooting with old pre-digital film lenses that clearly don't match up technically with modern designs, but some of those lenses have certain characteristics that show up in photos that those people just like. Even the "flaws" such as lack of contrast might lend itself well to the type of photos the person is trying to get with a particular lens.

In the end, shoot with what you enjoy using and like the results regardless of how it might rank compared to some arbitrary set of other lenses reviewed by some random web site.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    That was a nice read. He was clear about what he was testing and made it fun. Fortunately, as the comments show, lab testing isn't a tell-all. It's only indicative of how a lens performs under controlled conditions (and helps explain some known problems). Real-world performance involves many variables and optical characteristics: close-focusing vs. focusing near infinity, low-light focusing, ease of use, light transmission, bokeh, sample variation... What works very well for one person or task doesn't always work for another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Grumpy Snapper

The Grumpy Snapper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 9, 2017
    He's usually entertaining with some nice, sarcastic observations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Right, more importantly the performance of the lenses compared to one another don't really matter all by themselves. What matters is if specific deficiencies will have an effect on the types of things you shoot and if those "problems" are really a problem for your situation. For example, the comparison of how the corner or edge sharpness is for various lenses may not matter at all to a portrait shooter who likely will have blurred out background in the corners & edges. But a landscape shooter may be very concerned with this. Just like someone who shoots buildings and bridges may not be as concerned about over all sharpness as they are about various distortions that will mess up their straight lines. They will pick the slightly less sharp lens if the distortions are much better controlled.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I'm kind of hoping Panasonic updates the f/1.4, it really does look like it needs it. I Got the f/1.7 when I got into MFT, and I just can't see myself ever upgrading to the f/1.4.

11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I bought the PL25 1.4 when it was the only 25 available. It was really a choice between the 25 1.5 or the P20. Now there are several to choose from. While the others definitely have some advantages over the PL25, I still really enjoy mine and plan to keep it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I read it and I think that I understand maybe 40 %
    But hey, I am very, very very dumb.

• Funny Funny x 5
  13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So the take-aways are that the Voigt is pretty poor in the outer 1/3 of the image, all have good central sharpness, and there is variation amongst all the lenses, regardless of their price.

Had the PL25, nice lens. Had the Voigt 25, hated the CA. Have the O25, great performer. Have the 25 PRO, great performer

I will say that there are things optical bench testing doesn't provide insights on, things like Chromatic Aberrations, as well as bokeh quality. The Voigt 25 has pretty severe CA as well as a generally nervous bokeh profile, whereas the 25 PRO seems to have good CA performance and very soft bokeh. These are important areas to consider when evaluating one lens versus another, but are lost when one only looks at optical bench test results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2016
    Roger says often and clearly (albeit not in this particular post) that he is doing MTF curves and only MTF curves and that his posts shall by no means be taken as lens reviews.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Me too.

The lines were colorful...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William B. Lewis
    Pity that the P25/1.7 like I went with couldn't be tested too. I do think it and the 25/1.8 are 2 of the most wonderful reasons for m4/3 yet. It's still an interesting test though and it gives me such a nice feeling of bias confirmation that it's better to go with somewhat slower but vastly cheaper lenses and to ignore the so-called "Pro" lenses.

17. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    The most interesting information for me is the copy variation and field curvature. I didn't know the PRO held up so well compared to the normal primes. Field curvature testing definitely shows that these lenses are suited for more real world shooting than shooting flat test charts/objects (Which is nice just to get some MTF numbers). Hopefully they'll do more disassemblies of Micro Four Thirds lenses, given we know what's inside a lot of other lenses now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I wouldn't say its better or worse, it just meets different needs. If you need a 1/3 to 2/3rds of a stop more light then you need a Pro lens. If you need a weather sealed 25 then the Oly Pro is your only option.

Where a lot of people get tripped up is the assumption that Pro means better in every way.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William B. Lewis
    I should have added "for me" at the end because your comment is exactly correct Dan.

20. hokuahi

hokuahi Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 14, 2017
    mililani
    Part of my decision to spend the extra money on the Olympus Pro is the weather sealing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.