1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lensracks Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by aks6674, Feb 9, 2015.

1. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
  2. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    I can see great use for this in a studio setting, but for storage purposes I prefer having my stuff in a bag so it's ready to go.

The pricing is very competitive, though.

3. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    But people have been doing this for years, just by screwing rear lens caps to a shelf, a quick twist and they are either on or off.

Paul

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I guess saving a few seconds on a lens change for studio use is worth something, but otherwise this seems like a solution to a problem that I don't have.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    It would save me money as I could fire my assistant. I'd just need the focus puller then.

Edit: On second thoughts, if they did one attached to a rucksack harness, my assistant could wear in on his back and could follow me round. Did you see how much time that guy wasted walking backwards and forwards to his table?

Disclaimer: I don't have an assistant or focus puller. I already fired them both.

• Like Like x 3
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've always seen studios with a table near by where the lenses are simply placed front down... .along with all the other equipment. Its not like studios are environmentally dirty..... like the outdoors. I do have to admit, I've only seen two photographer's studios and another in college.

I would imagine that having to "mount" the lens to a rack is actually more time and effort.

7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    My wife cannot keep counting my lenses so easily when my lenses are just a random pile of glass, metal and plastic stuffed on the shelf...

• Like Like x 6
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. aremesal

aremesal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    Zamora, Spain
    A.Remesal
    1) Buy some caps from eBay
    2) Glue them to a shelf, metallic support or your assistant back

If you want modularity change the glue by adhesive velcro.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd rather get a padded Pelican case for better protection and safety.

10. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I also prefer a bag so that everything is quick for on the go. The idea itself is nice if you have a studio but I couldn't see myself putting something up like that in my room or study. It also makes it easier for thieves to steal all your gear if you display it like that in the case of a break-in.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I must say, polypropylene as the lens holder material is a bit iffy. At least with the current proportion of the units. I definitely wouldn't want to mount a 70-200/2.8 on a wall-mounted rack with all that weight cantilevered on just the cap.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Is there any cap material that makes this a good idea for that size lens? If I were going to store lenses that large, I'd have them vertically mounted, not horizontal. Or use the tripod mountings instead.

Incidentally, I like the Kickstarter idea very much but I'm shooting m4/3 and Sony Alpha. They have neither. So I guess I'll homebrew something with rear caps and whatever I can attach them to from Home Depot.

13. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    For me it solves a wife problem. My bags (yes, plural... sigh) are constantly getting moved out of the way, but if I keep stuff out of the bags it's too messy for her. Hoping this will keep stuff organized enough for her, handy enough for me.