Lenses with the aperture ring at the front?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by svenkarma, Aug 31, 2016.

1. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    The two adapted lenses I've been using most this year are a Jupiter8 50/2 on a rangefinder and an Olympus PenF 38/1.8 on the GX7, both of which have their aperture rings at the front of the lens.

Now I've gotten used to it, I actually prefer the ergonomics of having the aperture ring at the front to the more usual arrangement, muscle memory taking care of the occasional danger of stray hand bit in photo.

Was it just a rangefinder or half-frame thing? Are there any SLR lenses with this set-up?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Many Olympus OM lenses have rings at the front.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Some of the older Rokkor or pre-Rokkor Minolta's have it towards the front.

4. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    some Russian Helios 44 (brilliant lens) have the aperture ring up front, de-clicked too (not indexed)

5. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    My Jupiter 11 has it's aperture rings (it's a preset lens) at the front, and also my Industar-50. Like the Helios 44 they're clickless too.

6. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    All the OM lenses had the aperture ring on the front. IIRC, Olympus said at the time that this allowed them to build more compact lenses. This may well be true, the OM system was more compact than other full frame systems.

There is at least one inconvenient: some companies like Minolta displayed the aperture in the viewfinder (at least on the X700, maybe other bodies). This trick only works when you have the ring on the back.

Now that you say it, I realise that Leica M lenses have the ring on the front. Is this for compactness?

7. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    the pentax digital fa ltd series has them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Not all Olympus lenses have it at the front, many of the zooms have it closer to the mount. The advantage gained was that they could put the shutter speed dial around the lens mount (and it wouldn't get confused with aperture), this allowed the body to be more compact.

9. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Pentax DA lenses, included Limiteds, don't have aperture rings at all.

10. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    Im sorry, i meant FA Ltd, 31, 43 and 77mm all with aperture rings. correction made., thanks.

11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Many, many camera manufacturer's lenses had the f/stop ring in the front long long ago. It was originally easier to do it that way as the ring was directly connected to the iris and the optical system moved as a unit, along with the iris, as it was focused. Moving the f/stop ring in tandem to the iris made for simple mechanics. Auto-diaphram and later meter coupling changed all that for SLRs. Now the iris was controlled by the body and the f/stop ring was merely a "preset" ring setting a limit on the body's control range. Many manufacturers found they preferred placing the f/stop ring nearest the body as it made the meter coupling simpler. The advent of zooms and internal focusing only reinforced the mechanical advantages to the rearward placement.

Olympus was one of the few that stuck with the front placement. The designer had a "Leica fetish" it would seem and he retained an f/stop ring position similar to the current Leicas. Throughout the '60s there was much talk about the desire to have an SLR that would return to the size of an RF. With the Pen and OM series, Yoshihisa Maitani achieved this goal for the most part (OM's prism peak is extends past the height of a Leica M and the hinge extends wider but otherwise an OM with 50mm f/1.8 matches the height, width, and depth of an M4/3/2 with a 50mm f/2 Summicron).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Petermfiore

Petermfiore New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2015
    Canon FL series lenses have the aperture ring at the front...

Peter

• Like Like x 1