Lenses with character - your types

Equifan

Mu-43 Rookie
as per above, an old lens with some kind of distortion

Nikon made 2 or more super creamy magical bokeh MF lenses, a 35mm and a 50mm - I kept them both when I sold nearly everything else

Oly has a set of Pro primes with feathered bokeh - one is perfect for portraits (unless you are too old to take pics of young women)
What else is there left to do -- what little bit of testosterone remains has settled in my eyeballs.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
To get character I reach for vintage lenses
Amen! My collection of Olympus OM glass has a "look" about it, but I'd also include some "near vintage" glass, like a few choice Zuiko Digital 4/3rds lenses.

I admit it: I like fast lenses. There is nothing that will show a lens's character more than shooting it wide open. Some of my favourites:
  • Olympus OM Zuiko 55mm ƒ/1.2 on a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra
  • Olympus OM Zuiko 90mm ƒ/2 Macro
  • Olympus OM Zuiko 350mm ƒ/2.8 with 1.4XA teleconverter
  • Olympus Zuiko Digital 35-100mm ƒ/2 Zoom
  • Olympus Zuiko Digital 150mm ƒ/2

Real Name
Loren
I was going to ask what lens character really is, but I like @gnarlydog australia ‘s explanation and examples.

I hesitate to say I have any lenses with character, even though I have all excellent Oly Pro lenses. Do the beautiful f/1.2 Pro primes have character, or are they just super-sharp with excellent bokeh? They change their bokeh characteristics more than normally by stopping down. Maybe that helps?

The 8mm Pro fisheye is a rather unique lens that can produce unusual results by nature of its speed, close focusing, and distortion, but is that character? I dunno...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom