1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lenses to Fit GM1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tjdean01, Mar 9, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    After deliberation I ordered a GM1 to replace a lost PM2. It will of course make use of some of the lenses I already have, such as the 12-32, 14, 20, 15 BCL, etc. I actually use the Rokinon fisheye for projects at work. I'm thinking I might pick up the 9mm BCL for fun anyway because of its size. And the 45: gotta get that soon! I already ordered a $35 Fujian 25mm f1.4 C-mount lens for the camera because it seems to be a good fit and color match (both jet black). (I didn't get the 35/1.7 because not sharp enough to be good and not swirly enough bokeh for fun.) Finally, I got a Pentax 110 to m4/3s adapter to use my 18/2.8, 24/2.8, and 50/2.8 lenses. I don't know if I'll like them because not fast enough for shallow DOF and can't go up to f5.6 for max sharpness.

Besides the obvious 15/1.7 (a bit pricy considering I have both the 20 and 14 already) and 35-100 (I have the 40-150 which is bigger but for how much I use it it's fine), I'm looking to get another couple lenses, possibly adapted.

What other smallish lenses have you guys put on your GM1 that just seem to "fit right"?

Also, should I get the Panasonic grip plate? Does the handle touch the camera's body at all? I wouldn't want it to touch and risk it rubbing off the finish.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I really like the grip. The 'handle' lies perfectly along the front - neither of mine are showing any finish wear and they've probably stopped the base from getting scratched. With the grip fitted larger lenses are more visually balanced, and wider diameter lenses such as the 20mm don't protrude below the front (the Pana 100-300 still does by a mm or two but that is big...). I quite like the feel of bigger lenses on the GM1 - e.g. with the Pana 100-300 the balance is perfectly on the zoom ring with right-hand just steadying/operating the shutter.

3. uberzone

uberzone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    The Panasonic 7-14mm also fits really well on it. I'm about to ditch my 14mm and 20mm in favor of the new 15mm. The GMx, 15mm, and 45mm will make a great two lens combo that is very small and portable.

I really wanted to get a set of those Pentax 110 lenses, but without aperture control I lost interest. I was hoping someone would come out with an adapter that has an integrated iris and someone finally did: http://www.rjcamera.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=50. It doesn't work with the 70mm though and it is kind of pricey.

4. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Consider the new 42.5/1.7 over the 45/1.8 - It's shorter in length and has IS.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    So, do you mean it touches the GM1s body, or does not touch it (either way I planned on running a thin piece of tape)? Also, does the handle flex at all? I looked at a few other grips and it seems to me that this Panasonic-made one would be the best fit. Oh, I know it uses the tripod mount and the "feet" of the body go into holes in the base and there's a raised part that sticks into the body. No wiggling? Thanks! :thumbup:

When I decided to go GM1 I thought about the same thing. The 14 is not as sharp as I'd like, has some distortion, and is a stop too slow; but perfect size and price. The 20 has too big a diameter and doesn't AF well in the dark; but fair price, fast, and as near perfect optically as you can get. Finally, the 15 is close enough in FL to the 14 and is a stop faster. It's not as big around as the 20. But now you have to deal with it not being a pancake and still nearly $500. Then you have to bring the 17 into the discussion. Maybe I'll stick with the 14 and the 20 for now! :shakehead:

You know, this would be pretty nice. Would it be worth it for $75 though? Probably not for f2.8 lenses. But, I'm going to try them with this cheap adapter and if I like it I'll think about the iris one. Come to think of it, I already paid $20 for my adapter, what's $50 more? I should have just got it to start! lol

You're right, the IS is a benefit to a GM1 owner! Let's see how it performs optically with the Olympus. The Olympus I love the silver but the Panasonic I'd stick with black.

6. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    by the looks of the first sample photos of the 42.5mm f.17 in the link below, it seems optical quality is about the same with the olympus 45mm. and being priced the same as the 45mm at 400 usd, i think this will be the better choice for panasonic body users, due to its ois. also, it's quite good value considering it'll have better build (metal barrel), closer minimum focusing distance (31 cm instead of 50 cm) and include a hood and a pouch. :)

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-lenses/h-hs043e.html

7. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

I picked up an Olympus 25/1.8 recently. Matches the GM5 well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gravijaflare

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    • Like Like x 1
  9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    The Pan. grip didn't mark up my GM1 camera body and my upgraded GM5 shows no signs of scuffs or scratches. It definitely makes holding larger lenses much easier such as the P/L 42.5 Nocticron my heaviest and largest lens currently. You pretty much hold the lens and keep the camera steady with a few fingers on the right side which has the advantage of freeing up my right thumb which I use on the touch screen. I hold the camera with my middle finger and ring finger holding the machined post which frees my index finger for pressing the shutter. The thumb can cradle the rear thumb grip and in some cases I am able to utilize my thumb to activate settings and even fire the AF + shutter on the touch screen which gives me more options to set items than a bigger camera body would. As far as complaints about the small EVF I prefer it as it's much easier for me to see all four corners while wearing my eyeglasses.
    Bobby

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'm also a fan of the grip. Even the Pana 100-300 is quite comfortable held in pretty much the way you describe. I'm not completely convinced that I can hold lenses steadier on the GX7 than with GM1 and grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    If you are interested in adapted lenses, the Olympus Zuiko 100mm f2.8 is a corker and feels right on the GM1

100f28_zps1f490060.jpg

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If I owned a GM1 or GM5, I'd slap a P15/1.7 along with the Panasonic grip and never take it off. In black, a small, stealthy and fast street shooter.

13. gravijaflare

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i agree, i'll be receiving the grip tomorrow to make my setup complete.. ;)

14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    My main setup. I only take off the 15mm to occasionally use the 42.5 or the 7-14mm.
    GM5.jpg

Bobby, a very happy amateur!

• Like Like x 2
  15. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    The 15mm f1.7 is an amazing lens!! I am really happy with mine. I have only taken pix around the house and garden and the quality is stunning. I can't wait to try it out in the big wide world!

• Like Like x 1