1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lenses Separated from Kits, or Buy New?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tjdean01, Oct 5, 2014.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I bought my 14 separated from a GF1 kit and the whole thing was $200 and I sold the camera for $100. But, apparently, my lens has more plastic in it vs buying it alone?

I want to buy a 20/1.7 (again) and I can get it from a kit (without the nifty pouch Panasonic gives you) for under $300 but I have to pay like $350 to buy the retail version. Are they the same or does one have more plastic, etc?

What other lenses are like this? I'm going to get a 45 too and deciding if I should buy retail or not.

2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    There is only one version of the 14.
    There are two versions of the 20, but these are easily distinguished.
    Kit or not, the are the same lenses, made on the same line.
    Rudy

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Like Rudy said, there aren't different materials put into bundled lenses vs buying alone. Buying the best deals you can find is the way to go if your budget isn't big. In regards to the 20mm, the older version (kit or not) has more plastic in its construction than the version 2 model.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Same lens, different pile.

I have a 14 and a 12-50 I bought from kits. The 14 was lightly used, the 12-50 was never used.

I can't tell the difference between them and the retail versions...but my bank account can. ;)

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Actually, Panasonic just released (or announced?) a new II version of the 14mm with metal body like the 20mm II.

But you're right, there was never a "more plastic" 14mm version I that was bundled with kits vs sold as retail.

My advice, buy used or split from kit if the price is significantly less. Once you open the lens and start using it, its used, so you take a hit on the resale value. If you buy used, you're not losing any resale value immediately, its used either way.

The other question is warranty, if purchased split from a kit you likely won't get a warranty. Is $50 worth the warranty to you?

6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Not to derail the thread, but would you mind posting a link to this? I haven't heard of it, and Google isn't being very helpful, either.

Thanks! :)

7. shaggy

shaggy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2014
    Bratislava, Slovakia
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the link!

*ahem*

FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS??!!!

Come *ON* Panasonic, this is insane! First, they jacked up the price of the 20 II, now this. Someone should tell Panasonic that a pretty new skin is NOT a Version II, and generally - whether it's cars, cameras or what-have-you - the updated versions come in at the same price as the predecessors.

Ugh...disgusting. This is why I bought my 14 used at less than half the price of new. $400 for a 14 2.5...has to be the most expensive 2.8-ish pancake on the market...heck, Canon's EF (covers a full frame circle, and a brilliant little lens all around) 40 2.8 STM pancake is $150 right now.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The new 14mm is NOT a metal body! It is the same lens as the old one with a slight cosmetic upgrade just like the 20mm versions. The new 15mm is a metal body{I think} but the 14mm is still plastic.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Does anyone actually pay $400 for the 14mm lens? I've bought 2 of them, 1 came out of a GF3 kit, the entire kit cost me $200 from Samy's and I sold the GF3 body for $100. I subsequently made the mistake of selling that lens when I bought a 7-14, and then re-bought it - getting a mint used one for $145. At the time I bought that used one, I could have gotten a new one split out of a kit from an ebay seller for $175.

12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    There was a thread on here before saying that some of the kit lenses are actually lighter weight than the retail versions cuz the material the metal mounting ring screws into is plastic & retail versions are metal.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

Some of the cheaper lenses have plastic mounts (such as the Oly 14-42mm R), but it has nothing to do with whether the lens was bought as a kit or separate.

I bought mine retail, and it is still plastic.

Barry

14. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I bought a kit version of the 14 2.5 for $160 and other than the little red pouch I can't tell the difference. AFAIK the 14 2.5 II is cosmetically different - ie black rather than gray but the construction is the same. I know for sure that the 20 1.7 II is not metal, it is black but still plastic.

All the mounts I have seen on the Panny 14 and 20 are metal, regardless of color or source. I would go for the kit version.