1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lenses: New Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 lens... interested?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ulysses, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    By now you've all heard the info on Panasonic's new LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm / F1.2 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. lens. Yes, this is a Panasonic lens, but I thought I'd open discussion about it here because a) I shoot with Olympus cameras, and b) it's sounds like such a great lens, albeit with a couple of caveats that I'll briefly address below. I want to get the group's thoughts on how many of you are interested enough to consider adding this lens to your camera bags. :smile:

The first point of resistance might be the price. At an announced list price of $1599, it seems most people are going to stick with other less expensive solutions. Others, however, might be completely in love with the beautiful rendering of this glass.

Secondly, early reports indicate that while the lens has an aperture ring that works just fine on Panasonic cameras, it does absolutely nothing on Olympus cameras. So you'd need to resort to the typical control dials to adjust aperture. This might bug some people, while others won't mind at all.

What do you think of the lens? Are there other pros and cons for it on your list? Are you considering buying it? If so, what will your application be?

Here's an early unboxing video below:
    [video]http://bcove.me/s90hvcrz[/video]

2. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I'm not going to buy, but that's because I don't buy expensive lenses in general and I'm happy with the Oly 45 1.8.

3. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Giulio Sciorio mentioned in his brief review that aperture control ring DOES WORK on new Olympus cameras if you turn off IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I don't care about the aperture ring because it's the only lens in the range with one. I had a 4/3 25mm (which has a ring) on a GH2 for a bit. It was a pain because it didn't have the same handling as every other lens I used on that body. So I stuck it on A and controlled it through the body, just like my other lenses. While I prefer aperture rings, consistancy is more important, for me. I like my EM1 handling enough to not need/want changes.

It's most definately on my wish list, although I'll keep my 45mm 1.8 for travel and personal use. And if it's any thing like my Leica glass it'll be a favourite.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its not one of my favorite focal lengths, and the OLY 45 is an excellent lens I already have. For me, a really top grade wide would be much more tempting, so I'm waiting to see what the 15 is like (although I would like wider).

6. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    As I expected, most who already have the 45/1.8 aren't very compelled to buy this lens.

Interestingly, because I long ago knew this lens was coming, I held off buying the 45/1.8. While I haven't absolutely decided to pre-order it, I'm still drawn to it. I like this range a lot — or rather an 85mm on full-frame gets a lot of workouts in our studio. So I'd expect this one would, as well. :smile:

7. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    BTW, a "thanks" to LivingLoud who mentioned earlier in the thread that the aperture ring is confirmed to work as long as you turn off IBIS. That's pretty nice because you could still presumably get the assistance of OIS built into the lens.

8. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    One of the benefits of MFT is the many high quality
    Lenses available

Usually easy on the wallet and light enough to carry

If this is sharp wide open , then maybe
    But is would be easier if it were under $1000

9. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    It may take a while (besides, is there an actual release date yet?), but I suspect the price on this will drop sooner than later with the way Panasonic has been reducing prices across the board.

10. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    I think this new Panasonic/Leica 42.5mm f1.2 lens is an exciting development even though I cannot afford or justify one. (I too already own the Oly 45mm f1.8).

It is definitely a PLUS for micro 4/3 to have Leica creating lenses for our cameras. Leica brings a prestige to m4/3 that few other manufacturers can. Leica products are World Class and though they are not CHEAP, very few lens makers can truly compete in Leica's class.

The Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2 is a Dream Lens. Most snappers can't afford and won't need such an exotic lens, but those who do will not have to migrate away from m4/3 to have it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Not for me, I suspect, - too large, too heavy and too expensive. I am not much of a portrait person in any event, and have not replaced the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 that I lost in a burglary. If I am minded to buy a portrait lens, I am more likely to buy another Olympus 45mm f/1.8, however, as the weight, cost and size penalty does not seem to me worth it for two extra stops on top of what is already a decently fast lens, especially given the EM-1's high ISO performance.

Not that the Panasonic is inherently a bad lens - no doubt there are some whom it would suit perfectly. I suspect that the optical quality will be splendid. I daresay that many a wedding photographer (for whom this would not be particularly heavy, expensive or large compared to the alternatives for them) would find it most useful, for example.

12. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    It does seem rather big. Then again, a lot of the photos have been showing it mounted to a GX7, along with a lens hood making it look even larger and heavier. I think on one of the larger Panasonic cameras or on the Olympus E-M1, it would probably look a little more comfortable.

And from what I've heard, it's GOT to be less heavy than the Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 beast of a lens. (though I haven't double-checked the specs to compare the two)

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    lighter: 425g vs 571g

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ulysses

Ulysses Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    Great, thanks for looking those up! So:

Panasonic: 14.99 oz (425 g)
    Voigtlander: 20.14 oz (571 g)

Interestingly, they're approx the same length. That Voigtlander no doubt has more metal in it, but the Panasonic is also said to feel very sturdy and well made.

15. I really wish that Panasonic hadn't regressed to non-bayonet mounted hoods like Olympus has. I was never in the market for this lens, but my interest in the upcoming 15mm f1.7 (which is designed along similar lines) is being soured by a) a similar hood arrangement, and b) what the price is likely to be.

16. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    I am not interesting in it at the current price but I will definitely pick it up at $1000. Hopefully, it will be on sale next BF.

17. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    This lens is the biggest news since I follow the M4/3 news and I will find a way to get this lens.

But for 1500€ I could get a Sony A7 and shoot with my pentax A 50mm F1.2, and that sound pretty good actually. But that sharp lens is nowhere near as well corrected as this nocticron!

18. Witzgall

Witzgall Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    I am more than a little dissapointed in the price of the lens. Since I have not used one, I have no idea if the lens is worth the premium. I have used the Nikon 85mm 1.8 for years on film and digital, to make money (my first major magazine cover was with an F4 and the 85). Getting close to that look should not cost this much from 4/3s.

Chris

19. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Holy moly, that price differential is NOT justifiable when the Olympus 45 f/1.8 is a THIRD of the price...yikes...what is this coming to!?

20. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    That is the standards of modern price, just look at the price of other brand and you will get what a fast lens commands these days.
    BTW, you didn't complain when shelling for your Nikon 85?