1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lenses for the GH3, which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by thercman, Sep 23, 2013.

1. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Hey guys! So being a newbie to 4/3 I have been reading reviews regarding lenses and the quality of images they produce. I must say there seems to be many that produce great images. So what I am looking to do is acquire a few primes to cover a variety of shooting conditions and one which would make a great video lens for shooting interviews. My goal is to keep everything in a relatively small camera bag. So if you could only have 4 or 5 lenses which would you pick and why?

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    7-14, 12-35 and 35-100.

Why? Versatility.... only the 25 mm is significantly faster - unless you absolutely need the fastest lens possible, I'd go with the zooms....

3. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    arad85,

Are those all the Panasonic lenses you are referring to? I notice you have the Oly 45 listed in your signature block. I read nothing but great things about it. I know if use I Oly lenses with the GH3 I will loose the image stabilization. Is that really a big deal?

4. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes. The jury is out on the upcoming Olympus 12-40/40-150 f2.8 which are alternatives. My point was, unless you need the speed of the wide open primes, the zooms will get you 90% of the way there, with 90% more versatility... I haven't put primes on my cameras for ages...

Not if you shoot anything moving.... IS is great for things that don't move, but useless (unless you want the arty blur of the motion) for things that do...

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    In order to give you any meaningful advice, you really need to tell us something about what you like to shoot.

I really like the 7-14 and the 12mm f/2.0. But if you want to shoot sports, neither is going to be very useful. OTOH, if you mostly shoot landscapes, then suggesting the 75mm, or 100-300, probably isn't going to help you very much.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Just starting using the Panny 12-35 F2.8 for shooting video interviews with my GH2. It's perfect for that role.

8. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    I like the way Slr magic primes look for video 12 and 25 they have a unique look.

the panny 12-35 should be great for interviews with decent speed

9. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    My favorite lens and most used since its acquisition is the 25/1.4 Panasonic. My second most used lens is the 14/2.5 Panasonic. I also own the 7-14, 14-45, 45-200 and the 20/1.7. For macro work I use an adapted 55/2.8 Nikkor Micro lens. If I am travelling I bring the zooms. I usually select my lenses to suit what I am shooting. I believe my GX7 kit will include the 20 and 14. The lens that is on my want list is the 12-35/2.8 Panasonic.

10. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I think having 5 lenses defeats the purpose of a small package in one bag. If you don't want a zoom, I'd go for the Olympus 17 1.8 and 45 or the 14-25-45 (great quality, and small).

11. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    So this is an interesting learning curve for me... What I really enjoy shooting on a personal level is macro. Since there are only a couple lenses that is an easy niche to fill. I also love to shoot wildlife and have seen some amazing bird videos shot using a GH3 and a 300mm ($4000) Canon lens which is way out of my budget. With that said I am working on a podcast in which I would like to provide my own photos and videography. Since it centers around the environment I will need to be able to take landscape, portrait, and urban shots. Pretty diverse I know, that covered everything. (oh look, something shiny!) So the most import considerations right now need to be centered around the podcast. I can always use and extension tube for macro shots until I can save up for a dedicated lens for that. Same for the telephoto lenses.

So what I have been reading says to get as fast a lens as you can in order to compensate for the smaller sensor size. So if I shoot indoors or in the evening time I need the extra stops right?

Just some history: Currently I am shooting a NEX5n and older manual focus Nikon glass. Although I loose image stabilization and other auto functions my images are much better and I am learning my way around the camera a bit. :)