lenses for pm-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by indysteve, Feb 7, 2013.

1. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    does anyone have any suggestions on good 35mm manual focus lenses to use on my pm-1. is there one brand that seems to work better than others? the ability to use these lenses opens an exciting new world to me. can't wait to get started. i'm very much into nature and wildlife. maybe someone can suggest a good telephoto. i'm retired on a fixed income so keep suggestions reasonable please.
  2. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    I've used adapted Canon FD lenses and have been really impressed with performance for the price. I've picked up the 50/1.8 and 28/2.8.

That being said, based on the feedback from the folks here, I bought a decent Contax/Yashica (CY) adapter and have been super impressed with the image quality for the 135/2.8 for less than 20.00!

The CY mount opens the door to the really great Zeiss glass as well.
  3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Look for the " Show your legacy glass" thread here. Plenty of options and commentary! I've got a Kiron 28mm/2, Minolta 50/1.4 RokkorX, Vivitar (Tokina made) 135/2.8 and Oly 200/f4. I have a Vivitar (Komine) 90mm/2.8 macro on the way. None of these were more than $90. Fun to play with but the cheap native zooms will perform slightly better than the 135/200. I love the 50mm however. Macro is certainly a good way to go to save $.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    For price/performance, I think the FD series is excellent. They also tend to exhibit less ghosting and CA than others I have tried. The only downside to an FD is that the focus rings are not as butter-smooth as many other legacy lenses.

The OMs have been spoken of favorably, but I find their output clinical. Sharp, yes, but lacking in color and contrast. As mentioned above, there's a lot of love for many others, as well.

Best "film" feeling lens I've tried is the Takumar 50mm/1.4, though it's very soft wide open (for that 1970s portrait look).
  5. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013

Check this thread out

6. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    Canon FDn is a good choice, for telephoto especially, based on my experience. The 2 lenses I got, 135/2.8 and 200/2.8 are excellent for the price. I've read some good reviews about Nikons as well but they tend to be more expensive. Was not impressed with OM as much (had 200/5, 100/2.8 and 50/3.5 macro), although OM lenses are usually the smallest.
    Another excellent buy among legacy lenses, imho, would be a macro, since AF is generally not as useful in macro and most of them are good and much cheaper than AF. I prefer a bit shorter ones and got a Canon FDn 50/3.5 - works great!
    If you need a 50mm-ish fast lens there are many good and cheap f1.4 ones.
    Look in "sample images" area. Also there are many lens databases on the inet, a lot of info about Nikon, FD and OM at Photography in Malaysia, Konica info at www.buhla.de - Konica start page. If you google a particular lens you can probably find at least some samples at flickr.
  7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    That is a savings, and if Indysteve is in the USA, he can also get it from Olympus USA for $99, free shipping and local sales tax. Normally, this lens is $159 used or $199 at best when new.

The alternative is an old 135mm lens plus adapter. While possible, it's hard to get the pair for less than $40-50 and they will be a bit tricky to focus on bright days with an EPM1 w/o a viewfinder.
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If it's made by a major camera maker from the past, finding a good price on a lens is more important than the brand. I will allow that some brands like Canon FD or Takumar have a switch to hold the lens wide open. While actually a feature, it gets in the way if you forget how to set it. LOL, I have attached a 50mm lens in the dark and had to waste time testing it to see where to set the switch.

Adapters vary greatly on price/quality. All the inexpensive ones are made in China and are about the same though. You can pay $12 and wait 3 weeks in the mail or get the same thing for $20 from a US seller who keeps a domestic inventory.

Here are my thoughts about buying old lenses on a budget. I'm thinking lenses that should go for under $30.

-Avoid anything under 35mm unless almost free. They won't be as good as the 14-42 that came with your EPM1.

-Pick up a 50mm f1.7 or F1.8. These were common, work very well, and should be cheap.

-Avoid most zooms. Old technology. mediocre results. Some exceptions, like the Vivitar Series 1 line, but sellers think they're gold. They're not.

-135mm tele's in the f2.8 and f1.35 range are OK. Easy to make in the old days and quite common.

-Find a cheap macro for some fun. I haven't done this.

Post process software is pretty useful for adding the contrast back to your images taken with old lenses. So is a tool to get rid of the purple many of these lenses produce. The software plus a PC to support it can often blow your budget.
  9. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    My OM 35mm f2 is a stellar performer - although it was unrated in its day. It is hard to find though and the somewhat commoner f2.8 wasn't as nice.

Just to pick up on HarryS's point about wider lenses - the 24 and 28mm I have adapt really very well, so don't rule them out.
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Oly's OM glass is nice (don't own, have played with it), and also fairly compact. My personal favorite is Contax Zeiss stuff for the way it renders, but I got a ridiculous deal on it a couple of years back - a 50/1.4 and a 35/2.8, with a 135/2.8 Yashica thrown in for good measure for 200 bucks in very good condition. I prefer both lenses on my Canon (AF confirm chipped adapter and, more importantly, the focal length).

Pentax and Leica R and Canon FD are also good. Pop around to a few thrift shops and similar (after checking eBay and Craigslist for what constitutes good pricing), and if you want a stellar example there's always KEH.com
  11. indysteve

indysteve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    film lenses

thanks for the input everyone, ireally do appriciate your opinions