Lenses for Ireland

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by suzyq2463, Dec 28, 2012.

1. suzyq2463

suzyq2463 New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Yes, yes. Another "what lenses should I take" thread. Sorry.

I'm going to Ireland over spring break. I currently have an Olympus OMD with the following lenses: Pany 7-14; Pany 25; Oly 12-50; Oly 60mm macro.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the Oly 75mm for portraits but it's also a tele, but I'm thinking that might be too limiting. I honestly don't know what I will find in Ireland. I assume I will primarily be shooting landscapes, thus the Pany 7-14 and maybe architecture. But would a zoom lens be in order, such as the Oly 75-300 or the Pany 35-100? I realize that the Pany 35-100 is the more expensive lens and I assume that it is optically superior to the Oly 75-300, but I honestly don't know.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. adsinger

adsinger Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    First Coast, FL
    Personally, I don't see much need for the 75-300 unless you're a birder or going on safari or some such. The 35-100 is an excellent lens that will give you as long a lens as you're likely to need. For myself, and my photography I'd swap the 7-14 and the 12-50 for the Panny 12-35.

3. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

It's hard to beat the Panasonic 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100 combo with the 25 thrown in for very low light shots, including some low light museum displays. You probably won't need anything longer in Ireland unless you're after wildlife shots. If you've got the room, take the 60 macro as well. I'd predict that the most used lens would be the 12-35, then the 7-14, the 35-100, the 25 and the 60 in that order. A second body comes in handy as well.

The Oly 75-300 is soft at the long end as is the Oly 40-140. The Oly 12-50 is sharp in the center but not in the same league as the Pany 12-35
  4. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    Whatever gear you take, make sure you carry them in something waterproof, it tends to rain a lot in Ireland. The small towns have narrow streets compared to the States, the fields and landscapes tend to be 'compact' and the faces very photogenic. The Irish are a friendly lot and will strike up a conversation anytime, something you may have to get used to.
    Try not to get stuck in a big town for more than a day or two (e.g. Dublin). The South and West coasts are a great place to travel, from Kinsale up to Galway. Enjoy.
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I went to Ireland (fantastic trip, would go back in a heartbeat!) - but unfortunately, it was before I got into photography seriously so I don't have great photos to show for it.

Most of what I remember about Ireland was great landscapes and vistas, and great people :smile: If I were to go back, I would want a good wide-normal zoom, a good portrait lens (something like the 25mm f/1.4 for environmental portraits is perfect), and maybe a short telephoto for landscapes and portraits. Quite honestly with what you already have is a pretty good setup... if I were going to tweak that at all, I'd probably consider the following options:

1) Switch the 12-50mm for a 12-35mm f/2.8 for excellent optical quality and more low light/shallow DoF versatility. That's a lens that would spend most of the trip on my camera, personally. Carry that with the PL 25mm, 60mm for a short telephoto & macro, and the 7-14mm if you want the UWA would make a heck of a kit.

2) Leave the 60mm home, pick up a 35-100mm f/2.8 or 75mm f/1.8 and use it for the short-moderate telephoto range. I don't recall seeing a lot of wildlife or other scenarios I would have wanted a really long lens like the 75-300. However, a 35-100 or 75 is very suitable as a portrait and landscape lens for isolating landscape elements.

Good luck, and have a great trip!
  6. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I went to Ireland last summer for my honeymoon. I used my Rokinon 7.5mm on my E-PL2 and Olympus 4/3 11-22mm on my E-P1, and that's all. I mostly shot landscapes and cityscapes.

I'd probably take the 7-14 and 12-50, and maybe get a longer zoom, like the 45-200 or 40-150.

Here are a few examples:

Lough Inach

St. Giles Cathedral, Edinbourgh
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The Olympus 40-150mm is a nice, relatively small lens - the price is right and it gets surprisingly good photos. You likely won't use he longer lens much but it would be there if you needed it and wouldn't take up much space. :cool:
  8. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Totally agree! I just got one, and I wish I had it for that trip.
  9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I traveled to Ireland last fall with just an EPL5 and a P20mm and found them to be the perfect combination. Light, easy to pack and perfect for 99% of my photos. It's tempting to take a lot of lenses until you have to carry them.[​IMG]
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    When i travel I carry most of my lenses.
    They are relatively small except for the two long tele which I usually leave one at home.
    This is the advantage of the :43: a set of lenses has weight and volume of a single FF or APC-S standard zoom lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    It sorts boils down to you and the type of trip. Is this a family style vacation with other people (non-photographers) or a photo expedition (photography is a principal reason for travel)? How serious are you with your photography? (Per your lens line-up you appear to be quite serious.) What do to like to shoot (genre)?

Remember that a family style vacation and photography do not mix. You have to make a set aside time for when and where to perform serious photography and in-between those photography set-aside times, be happy with snaps.

If it's a non-photo expedition vacation then you'll be fine with just the P7-14 and the O12-50 (an okay walk around, weather-sealed lens).

If your visit revolves around serious photography, then the P7-14, PL25mm, O12-50 and I recommend the P35-100. It is optically top notch, at least equal to my Canon 70-200 L. If you like shooting people, if you like filling the frame with facial expressions and environmental portraits ... then this is the puppy to get, you won't regret the purchase (and it is weather-sealed). I have both the O75mm and the P35-100, both are optically superior, but in tight corners the zoom gives you greater wiggle room and flexibility.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,