1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lenses for Hawaii Vacation?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RobDMB, Jul 28, 2013.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    I'm going on a delayed honeymoon and just received a new Olympus Ep5 w/ 17mm lens. I also picked up a used 12-50mm Olympus lens. Aside from those two lens is there another lens that I will regret not having with me in Hawaii. Depending on cost, I would probably rent if so. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Hey Rob,

I’m going soonish to Hawaii myself. I have the 12-50 and that would likely be great, but I’m taking this as an excuse to try out the Panasonic 12-35 as a rental. With that I’m also taking my Olympus 40-150, but I’m not really sure if I’ll have a use for it.

Since I only have the Sigmas as primes I’m going to leave those at home. If I had the 17 F1.8 I would probably take it too. :)

Dan

3. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I'm also going to Hawaii to spend the tail end of 2013 and the first week of 2014.

I'll be with my E-PL5 and Pany 14 and 20 primes. I'm also bringing my NEX with Minolta 45 F2 and Sigma 30 F2.8.

In addition to the lenses, I recommend bringing a good multi-coated CPL and ND filter. There's a lot of blue sky and plenty of waves and waterfalls to capture in creative ways.

4. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    Could you further explain the benefits of a filter? Which filter would I get for the two lenses that I have? Would I have to buy 2 or would one work on both? Any recommendations are appreciated.

5. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I recently took my OMD to Kona. The 20/1.7 is all I needed. I took the 12-50 and some legacy zooms but never used them.

i came away with some great panoramas too.

I used a polarized filter too. Helped a lot. I picked one that fit my largest lens an bought step up rings for my smaller lenses.

6. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I've found that the P20 is all I have needed for most situations, as klee has mentioned. Graduated ND filter.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For me I could never survive without a longer reach. I would think the kit tele-zoom would be worth picking up. Or better yet is to get one of the full range zooms like the Olympus 14-150mm. Of coarse it all depends on your style and what you are going to photograph.

8. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Phoenix
    Don Thompson
    Aloha ... Not sure which of the islands you are going to but if you like flora and fauna I would consider renting the 60mm from lens rentals. That would also give you a medium telephoto and nice portrait lens. In addition to a good cpl I would suggest some graduated ND filters for sunrise , sunset and canyons. I have quite a few Hawaii shots on kawhona.500px.com.

Enjoy and don't be in a hurry ;)

9. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Wow, how many "travel lens" threads are active now?
    No offense intended, but folks who are really so unsure of what lenses to take on their own vacations will probably do just fine with the kit lenses they all own.
    Kit zooms are capable of very high quality capture; your 12-50 in particular is a great lens. Beyond this, your options are: wider, longer, faster, or smaller. I guess only you will really know if any of these options are important to your style and photographic goals.
    Have a great trip, and bring home great photos with whatever your gear might be.

10. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I am also going on a HI vacation in a few weeks, I suggest one zoom and one fast prime. Your two lens combo is fine. The only thing you are missing is obviously something with longer reach, I usually don't think long zoom is as useful as wide angle for traveling, but for HI you might consider one for maybe taking pics of surfers farther off shore, or whales if you go on a whale watching tour and stuff. For me, I debated between 12-50 for its 12mm wide and weather-sealed goodness, and 14-140 for its overall reach, and in the end I am going with the 14-140+PL25.

11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    A Polarizer and ND Filter as well as a small tripod even if it's a little table top one. Long exposures with water can be really interesting get up really early for sunrise!

12. jon91581

jon91581 New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2012
    I just got back from Hawaii, and I agree with what all of the other users have posted. I used a wide-angle lens more than anything else with my B&W CPL. I wish I had taken a ND filter to help stop down some of my pictures of moving water (rivers, waterfalls, etc.). I don't typically use telephoto much, but there is some interesting fauna there. It'd be cool to take a decent macro/tele combo lens.

Jon

13. Jazztrumpet5

Jazztrumpet5 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Have fun on your trip!!!

I went last summer and took my 12-50, 20 and 45, and except for taking a cruise around the island of Kauai (when I used the 12-50 for splashproofiness), I used the primes constantly. I used the 45 a lot for portraits, at a luau, etc, and then nearly everything else with the 20.

I no longer have the 20 or the zoom (replaced with the PL25 and the O12), but the longer-reach prime would be my first choice, followed (closely!) by either the 12 or the 14.

Again, have fun!!

14. tconelly

tconelly Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    I think this is another case of a question that will result in a wide range of contradictory advice, depending on individual preferences and the types of photos you like to take.

Along with several others responding to this thread I also went to Hawaii earlier this year -- to the Big Island of Hawaii - and I used both short (12-50mm) and long (40-150mm) zooms as well as primes (45 and 75mm) and felt like I needed them all.

Here's a link to Hawaii galleries that will show examples of how I found all the lenses important - unfortunately there are also many images shot with the Canon 6D in the galleries, but the exif information is below each photo.

Hawaii 2013 Photo Gallery by Tom Conelly at pbase.com

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is right! It all comes down to what you want to shoot. If it is wide vistas with some shots of your family/friends then there is no need for a tele or a macro. If wildlife or flora/fauna is of interest to you then you will need a tele or macro.

Some great shots there Tom!

16. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    My favorite duo of primes on u4/3 are the 20/1.7 (which you have covered with the 17/1.8) and the 45/1.8, which is my portrait lens. It will give you low light capability, a good perspective for people pics, and the ability to create a 3D impression by softening the background, as in this sample.

P5091409%20mr.

It's not a macro lens, but it works out very well for flowers and such.

P5051239%20mr.