1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lenses for a new convert

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by erb3742, Oct 8, 2012.

1. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    I recently bought an OMD with the 12-50 for my first M43 camera. I am traveling to Europe in a few weeks and have been adding lenses to my kit. So far I purchased the 20/1.7 and the 45/1.8.

Now I am debating getting something wide and/or something long. On the wide side I am not into the fish eye look so I am thinking maybe the 9-18 and I have no clue on the telephoto side, maybe the Panasonic 100-300?

I came from shooting a canon rebel where I had a 10-24mm for wide and a zoom that went up to 270mm so for touring Europe I want to make sure I have a good range covered.

Thoughts/recommendations/rationale for adding these lenses?

Thanks!

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I was on a trip to France last June and what I have missed most was a wide angle. I have used the 14-45 mostly on the 14 end of it. I have hardly used the 45-200, 7% of my photos. I heavily used the P20 on interior and night shots.
    After I have returned I got the Rokinon 7.5 that I use for UWA with de-fish on Lightroom. I have found it to be wider and more economical than the 9-18.
    Both lenses you consider are getting good reviews from owners, I have tried the 9-18 at a shop in France and I found it not wide enough for my needs.

3. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I really like the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 on my OMD. I find I use it a lot more than I expected and surprisingly use my Pana Leica 25 f1.4 less than expected.

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    You're off to a good start with the 20/1.7 and 45/1.8.

The 9-18mm is a great option to match the FOV of your old format. If you're willing to splurge, the Panny 7-14 constant f/4 is the best UWA out there now. The Oly 12/2 is a great prime lens perfect for interior archi shots but isn't really ultra wide.

Re: telephoto, there's a couple of ways to look at it. IMHO, the best out there right now is the Panny 45-175 which is sharp even at its longest end. But if you need a bit further reach you won't go wrong with either the Oly 75-300 (more expensive, slower but smaller and lighter) or the Panny 100-300 (half-a-stop faster, cheaper, bigger and heavier)

Hope this helps.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For travel, I think the Oly 9-18 and Oly 14-150 are a great pair. I would also take a Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye :) .

6. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I am thinking of holding off on the telephoto and investing the money in the wide angle since it will probably get more use on my trip.

Between the Oly 9-18 and the Panasonic 7-14 which one is the better choice if money wasn't one of the factors. Being able to use a filter on the Oly seems like a leg up for wide landscapes, though is the extra 2mm really worth the difference to go with the 7-14?

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    There is quite a bit of difference between 7mm and 9mm. You are right that the 9-18mm has a leg up in terms of being able to attach filters. The other thing to note is the nefarious purple fringe/glare people get with the OM-D/7-14mm combo which I personally don't mind. So I personally still vote for the 7-14mm if money wasn't an issue.

8. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    I would opt as wide as my wallet would allow. The ability shoot WIDE in Naples and Rome are my only concerns with going to a M43.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    7-9 is a vast difference. You may or may not like the 7-14 on the OMD though. If you want to go inexpensive in comparison you plug get a 14 off eBay for about $180 and get the lumix wide adapter which gives 10.5 or 10.75 and stay under $350 I believe. Get a 14-150 to boot and stay under the cost of a 7-14 and same ballpark as a 9-18. The 14-150 is great on the OMD.

10. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Boston
    Eric
    7-14mm lens flare on OMD?

Anyone have any experience with lens flare using the 7-14 on an OMD?

I have read and seen some examples of it, not sure if it is the best choice.

11. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    I am using the Oly 12mm f/2 and also plan on getting the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye. I am passing on both of the UWA zooms for somewhat different reasons.

I did some test shots with the 9-18 previously and do not feel it is all that close to the IQ of the primes (the O12 or the P14). The 7-14 is quite good from a sharpness standpoint, but ND filtration is a big problem for me and the flare is pretty wicked. I am way too dependent on ND filters for water photography (I live in FL and photograph at the beach frequently) - I sold my Nikon 14-24/2.8 for the same reason and went with the 16-35VR and the 24/1.4 prime for my big iron.

The 7.5 FE gives me the option of a FE or a somewhat narrower FOV rectilinear when de-fished in SW. It's sharp and cheap.

The O12mm is a fantastic lens and I find 24mm eq to be a very versatile focal length.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.