1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lenses/Accessories for E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pkeenan80, Jul 26, 2011.

1. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Hi there...

I've just bought an E-PL1 with the stock 14-42mm lens and I want to start expanding my lens collection a bit and having some fun with different lenses. Can anyone recommend some lenses that aren't the absolute fortunes that Olympus charge. I've seen some very inexpensive ones on Ebay but surely these can't be that good or they wouldn't be so cheap?

Also are the adapters for OM lenses any good?

Any advice greatly appreciated...

thanks

Pete

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    None of the m4/3 lenses are particularly cheap. Sad but true. I think a lot (most?) of the people around here have discovered that photography with old adapted manual focus lenses can be a lot of fun. Good manual focus lenses can literally be had for $20 shipped. Throw in another 25 for the adapter and you're in business. I think Fotodiox and Rainbow Imaging are the usual sources for reliable adapters. Olympus OM, Minolta MD, Canon FD, and Pentax M42 are some of the most popular, I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, for SLR lenses. However, don't forget the rangefinder, cine, and single-frame Pen lenses that can now be used digitally with :43:! For instance, M39 Leica Thread Mount for rangefinders, C-mount for cine lenses, or Pen FT mount (only one type, there) are also popular for old legacy lenses.

Those lens mounts can only be adapted directly to Micro Four-Thirds, but the SLR lens mounts you mentioned can also be adapted to Four-Thirds, then from there adapted to Micro Four-Thirds... if you ever want to try using those same lenses on a Four-Thirds DSLR body like an Olympus E-System camera, Panasonic L1, or Leica Digilux. I'm all about maximum adaptability. ;) Stacking the adapters makes no difference, as long as you've already got a Four-Thirds mount adapter (otherwise that will be an extra expense).

• Like Like x 1
  4. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    QVC

Pete,

QVC has the Olympus m.Zuiko 40-150mm for $150. I just picked one up from a different retailer and didn't get this good of a deal, but I do think the lens is pretty good for the price. It feels cheap, but the IQ is very good and overall I am happy.

Lee

• Like Like x 1
  5. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Lee, thats really useful... thanks!!

6. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi, bought my EPL1 a month back and am really enjoying it. Just received a fotodiox adapter and OM 50mm f3.5 macro lens and loving using this manual lens (I'll post a few samples soon)...and have just tried OM 100mm lens with less joy and success. It's harder to focus this manual lens without the EVF. Focusing using the macro is lots easier as it's so damn close. Also splashed out on a panasonic 20mm and it's a joy to use, though more expensive than the camera! Still it's a long term investment that will live beyond the camera body. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  7. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Been on the lookout for a decent macro lens so thats quite useful. I bought a second hand Holga lens off ebay for £10 and its a fun little lens... look forward to seeing your pics, can you out one on this thread?

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Sure - try this link: hopefully my gallery on this site. A few test shots with this OM 50mm f3.5 Macro and EPL1

- Mu-43 Gallery

or see these thumbnails below

• Like Like x 2
  9. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    really nice images manju, think I might try a get one of those lenses off ebay!

10. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Yep, adapted lens are a way to go if money isn't growing on trees for you. The qualities of the images from an adapted lens is just as great or EVEN GREATER than the new lenses. I have the 14-42 and 40-150 for my EPL1 and pretty much thought that was the best. Then after reading up on adapted lenses and then wanting a macro lens, for sure I wasn't able to spend $800+ for a new macro lens. And that would explain on why I purchased the Minolta 50mm f/3.5 Macro which only cost me $21 and another $25 for the adapter. I'm so into the Minolta now, I just bought a Minolta bellows for it off ebay, hopefully I get it within the next two days.

Now I just need to by an EVF. The LCD screen may show the picture being super clear. But when I plug my EPL1 to the TV thru the A/V, not as good as I thought for some pictures. Hopefully an EVF that solve that problem.

EDIT:
    And also, ever since buying my first adapted lens, a Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 Wide Angle, I just have an addiction for adapted lenses now. That Vivitar 28mm and the Minolta 50mm Macro both came from pawn shops. So you may want to drive around pawn shops and thrift stores. They have old lenses for cheap prices! I missed out on one Salvation Army store, they told me they had a box of old Pentax and stuff and someone had bought the whole box. They're out there.