1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

lense suggestions for new Panny G5

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by nymytemaus, May 23, 2013.

1. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Hi all,

I was gifted with a Lumix G5 for my birthday last month and it came with the
    14-42mm and 45-150mm kit lenses. I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks that will feature sweeping vistas and a fireworks display and was looking to add a lense (or 2) to my equipment. Have been considering the panny 20mm f1.7 and the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye. Does anyone have any thougths or suggestions? Oh, and I am on a budget.

Many thanks in advance.

nymytemaus

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    The 14mm 2.5 is quite good and budget oriented.

3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Those are two great lenses and should give you quite a bit of added potential.

Down the road maybe a legacy macro.
    And a fast longer lens. Legacy 50mm or Oly 45mm 1.8.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have both lenses and they are great.
    The P20 gives you a edge when the light becomes dim and it is super sharp.
    the R7.5 is a great UWA for landscape just keep the horizon in the middle.

5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, you have decent focal range coverage, albeit at kit lens speeds. So the question is, for what you like to shoot, what to you lack? Do you need a faster lens at a particular focal length? Maybe the 45/1.8 or 20/1.7? Do you need a wider lens for those sweeping vistas? The 9-18 should cover that. Longer than 150 for wildlife? Either the 100-300 or 75-300 zooms then.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The questions you have to ask yourself are: In what ways am I constrained with the lenses I have? What images would I like to be able to create that I am not able to with my current lenses? Once you answer those questions, it will be clearer what you need.

For shooting "sweeping vistas" and fireworks the first thing that comes to mind is not a lens, but a tripod. If you don't already have a decent tripod (and you're inclined toward the type of shooting style a tripod entails) that will do more to improve your results in shooting landscapes than any lens. I would suggest you look at the Benro Travel Angel series, but you can get all sorts of other recommendations just be searching this forum.

As far as lenses, my contention is that the Panasonic 20mm pancake should be among the first lenses owned by all :43: users. It's small, optically fast, provides a very usable field of view, offers lovely bokeh and is very sharp. The only complaint is that it focuses a bit slowly, but that's what keeps the price from being stratospheric.

7. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    personally i'd just take the twin kit lenses...they are a good travel kit and they cover a very useful range

l'd get a light tripod and batteries instead, maybe even a flash...

8. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Hi all,

I had so much fun on my trip despite a couple of rainy days. I actually found 2 used lenses (the fisheye and the 20mm f1/7pancake)for sale here on this forum and found they lived on my camera for most of my trip. The fisheye was such great fun for the sweeping vistas of the Hudson River and the beautiful clouds as well as some views in a nature conservancy. The pancacke lense was also great in the nature conservancy and on the streeet. I used my telephoto kit lenses for closeups of the architectual details that abound in the beautiful city of Hudson, NY. I'm looking forward to a second trip back for the July 4th weekend!

Thank you all for your tips. I just loved having all my lenses with me and the m43 system. This panny G5 is my first m43 (and an upgrade from a p&S). I was hiking around with 4 lenses on me for hours (and about 5 miles) and didn't get fatigued at all:) This camera with it's egonomics, easy to hold grip and interchangeable lenses is making me happy!

9. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Found an old macro lens

I clawed through some old camera equipment and found an old Sigma 50mm 1:1 macro with a Canon mount from about 20 years ago and hope to get an adaptor for it. Is that what you meant by a "legacy macro"?

10. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

I was gifted a G1 with the 14-45mm and 45-200mm and after 8 months with it was gifted the P20mm. It proved the gateway drug to primes and I enjoyed it immensely.

I ended up getting a few legacy primes as I'm on a tight budget and haven't looked back. Not sure if your Sigma 50mm is an FD mount or an EOS mount, but there are adapters for both available that will help you use the lens on your G5. Enjoy!

11. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Panny 20mm f1.7Pancake and Benro Travel Angel Series tripod

Hi Dejayy,

I have bgeen enjoying that panny 20 mm pancake lense for the attributes you describe, in spite of it's focusing noises. I love it's low light capabilities, lovely bokeh and size.

I am now saving up for a tripod and will definitely consider the Benro Travel Angel Series. Do you have any further comments on those tripods? Am open to hearing your thoughts.

Best,
    Jane

12. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Sigma legacy lense

Yes, I believer it is an EOS mount as it was from an EOS Rebel "collection." Any thoughts on how to get an adapter, who makes them etc?

Many thanks in advance for your reply!

13. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Hi,

I believe it is an EOS mount as it came from a Canon EOS Rebel "collection" of sorts. Do you have thoughts an how to go about finding an adapter? I am still so new to all of this. Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Best,
    Jane

14. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Yes.
    Please post some images when you get it up and running. :smile: