Lense for NYC Walking Photog Class

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Rhelbling, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Rhelbling

Rhelbling Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Taking a walk around photography class in NYC tomorrow. Have a G5 and want suggestions on which lense to bring for the day. I currently own a P14-42, P45-175 and P14-140. I am leaning toward the 14-140 so I don't have to change lenses during the class and can focus on learning and capturing the shot.

Your thoughts from more experienced photographers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Do you prefer the rendering of a particular lens over another?

I'd be inclined to go with the 14-42 as it challenges you to work with less range. I often go out with a single prime just to see what I can get. Even if I don't have a lens for all situations, the prime/one lens challenges me to think about composition more than I would otherwise.

Best advice is to just have fun though!

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I'd take the 14 - 140 for sure. You will most likely be a little nervous. I would want to focus on the teacher, plenty time to challenge yourself in the future.

Please let us know how the class went. What part of the city are you meeting?

Good luck!

4. Rhelbling

Rhelbling Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    The class is in Central Park. Should be some great opportunities for some very interesting shots. Really excited to improve my skills.

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    14-140!!!

6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Def 14-140. You can actually take some great architectural shots with tele focal lengths, and the long end will be useful for nature/animal shots as well. Try to use the perspective compression to your advantage!

That said, you should invest in a prime! Even if a legacy prime(or especially if), you will learn a lot.

7. Rhelbling

Rhelbling Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    I want to get the PL 25 but need to get sign off from the "boss" aka the wife, just bought the 14-140 so need to space it out a little

8. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Hey please let us know how the class went, and how your lens choice worked out etc!

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I didn't know there were walking photography classes. Be sure to post pics so we can see them! Have fun.

10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I haven't participated in one of them but I see them all the time when doing my on personal little photowalks around the city. I'll probably try one out at some time!