Lense filters questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rossi46, Sep 12, 2012.

1. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hallo all,

I am going to Siem Reap soon and intend to buy myself ND filter and Polarizer filter.
    Need some tips and advise.

I have 14mm F2.5 and 20mm F1.7 panny lense.

1. Are both lense having the same diameter, i.e. same filters can fit both lense?

2. Coming to second question, assuming both lense has different diameters -
    I am assuming polarizer is used most often on outdoor landscape / city scape shots where overexposed sky comes into question.
    - Does this mean that polarizer is more often used in wider angle lense, but I had also read that polarizer will not work well at certain angle for wide angle lense due to uneven sky.
    My question is whether the 14mm lense is considered too wide for Polarizer filter use?

3. ND filter's main purpose as I know is for shallow DOF in bright daylight or to have blurred movements in bright daylight.
    I would assume if I am to buy only one ND filter for either 14mm or 20mm, the 20mm would be the more suitable choice.....because we are talking about trying to create shallow DOF.

4. My local camera shop has Marumi ND8, is that a 3 stop ND?
    Is that useful?
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, they have the same diameter filter thread. Both use 46mm filter threads.

I'm not the expert on this but I think you still get some benefit from using a polarizer at 14, even 12 but probably not any wider than that. You mentioned Marumi, I'd make sure to get their super DHG CPL for that. Online reviews rank this up at the top with B+W at half the cost.

It's your lucky day, they have the same filter thread size. The ND filter will allow you to leave your 20/1.7 wide open for shallow DOF. A 3 stop ND is good for walkaround use for this purpose. To blur movement, you'd need more stops than 3, likely 8-10 or above so you can really slow down your shutter speed. Like say, if you want to photograph a waterfall and get that wispy texture from the flowing water.

Yes, the ND8 is a 3 stop ND filter. You won't go wrong with the Marumi brand.
  3. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Hey Rossi,

You can use a CPL filter to cut light on a fast lens, also. They are good for about -1EV [my Kenko Pro1D CPL seems closer to -1.5EV]. But the main purpose of a CPL is to reduce reflection/haze, and increase saturation. A CPL is good on a 14/2.5 to reduce highlight clipping, otherwise a ND2 would do if you don't want the polarising effect.

Since the 20/1.7 is much brighter, you will need a ND4 minimum in bright conditions. Depending on your camera you may need a ND8 if your shutter ISO combo isn't up to it. You can stack a ND4+CPL if need be, but your image quality will be reduced.

If you want to slow down waterfalls to get that sheet effect, you might want at least a ND8 [ND16+ better] with small aperture. You can also stack a CPL here to reduce reflections off rocks, etc... Just know when you go over -4EV that your camera might not auto-focus since it's so dark. You can pre-focus if this happens.
    • Like Like x 1