1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lense Compatability Dim Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BobBill, Mar 12, 2012.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I may have missed or worded my search wrong a few days back, but cannot find. I know it is noted somewhere but duh on me at this point.

Will the lenses and adapter I have for my EP-2 function with O-M5 body?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Basically, yes. The E-M5, like the E-P2 is a micro 4/3 camera. Any lens or adapter that will function on one m4/3 camera will function on any other m4/3 camera.

(There are 2 caveats, but neither apply to you. Early Panasonic m4/3 bodies will not AF with most 4/3 lenses (used with an adapter) and Olympus bodies do not have full support for Panasonic lens stabilization.)

DH

3. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Interesting, let say the Panasonic 100-300 lens has OIS and when put on the E-M5, with IBIS, by default the lens IS won't work right?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If the lens has no OIS switch then it will shut off OIS by default, allowing you to use IBIS. If the lens has an OIS switch, then you can manually choose which one you want to use... but you should use one or the other, not both.

I imagine with a 5-axis IBIS system which also works in video, that I would probably choose IBIS for most applications. ;)

5. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Ned, I knew I should have kept my 100-300 lens. Sold it when I sold the G3 and E-P3 lol Now I'm going to have to get it again. It's awesome that all Panasonic and Olympus m43 lenses can be used with either body.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and it's particularly awesome when both companies start moving in different directions in new lens development rather than creating redundant lenses. This is what's happening now, as both companies have notified us of upcoming lenses for 2012... longer fast primes from Olympus (m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro), and fast zooms from Panasonic (Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 and Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8).

As users of the system we can have our cake and eat it too! Some of us are wanting a fuller collection of primes, others are wanting to see an introduction of fast zooms. We can see development in both at the same time, because we have an open system with multiple resources.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Thank-you. I was not sure all the features would function with the new body. But, for a change, a maker used collective brains.

And thanks to Ned as well. I was not so up in my facts. Might have to shop around for one of those long lenses.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If the lens has an IS switch, it will work on Olympus bodies (that the 100-300). However, it will only work in 'mode 1' (stabilization will run continuously when the camera is on). Modes 2 and 3 are only available on Panasonic bodies (one is stabilizes the lens only on shutter half-press, the other stabilizes it vertically but not horizontally for panning).

DH