1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lensbaby tilt transformer

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Superstriker#8, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Any suggestions on nikon adapted lenses for the tilt transformer? Also some OM suggestions, as I will be using it mostly for macro photography. Thanks

2. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    BiaƂystok, Poland
    Try searching eBay for "m4/3 nikon tilt adapter". That's an adapter that'll work similarly to Lens Baby, you'll get the ability to tilt your lens. That adapter provides infinity focus, so any macro effect could be achieved by using macro lens, macro diopter lens or macro rings. That's up to you. Same with OM.

I've tried to build Lens Baby on my own, but failed badly. All I can think now are gorilla pods, but I guess a genuine adapter would be easier to work with.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have found that the smaller lighter lenses are much easier to use with the tilt-transformer! The E-series lenses are the smallest and lightest classic Nikon lenses and so work great. The 50mm f1.8 E-series works the best in my opinion with the 28mm f2.8 E after that. I don't own the 35mm f2.5 E lens but I would image it would be good too. The 100mm f2.8 E-series works good for telephoto shooting. Long heavy lenses are much harder to use on the TT. Also avoid using a "G" lens as you can't adjust the aperture and are forced to shoot fully open.

4. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    You can actually use the 'g' lenses, you twist the lens. How good are the e-series lenses optically?

5. speedandstyle

I just tried and you can adjust the aperture on a "G" lens fitted to the tilt transformer BUT the lens is not locked and could come off accidentally. Also you have NO CLUE as to what aperture it is at except for fully open or fully closed. It is also not easy to use it this way as you have to hold down the lock button and force the lens past the lock position. You are much better off using a lens with a built in aperture ring. I also made a mistake in my first post - in that the aperture would be fully closed not open {brain hick-up there - sorry}.

In regards to the E series lenses, optically they are very good to great. Better than most of the 3rd party lenses from the same time. Nikon introduced the E-series in 1979 as entry level lenses. They got a lot of heat when they came out but it was mostly because of the plastic body construction and not because they weren't good lenses. The 50mm was made as an E with plastic body and as a regular Nikkor with a metal body. Many, myself included consider the 100mm to be the best of the E lenses and better than many Nikkor lenses of similar focal length and max aperture.

Here is a link to some of the best information I have ever seen on the Nikon E lenses.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/eserieslenses/

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    50mm 1.8 e series pancake lens works great on the TT, it's small so you could probably add in some extension tubes with out putting too much weight on the mount..

7. speedandstyle

Another advantage I forgot to say about the E-series lenses is that they are very affordable, at least the easy to find focal lengths. The 28mm, 50mm are very easy to find with the 35mm and 100mm almost as easy, the 135mm however isn't so easy. You do want to find examples without any haze or mold. There are also 3 zooms and although good zooms they are a bit larger and heavier and thus don't as well on the TT.