LENSBABY COMPOSER

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by cstevens, Feb 27, 2010.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Anyone used a LENSBABY COMPOSER on a m4/3 camera?

I am thinking of getting one (Nikon Fit so I can use on my Nikon gear also). I think it would be great for creative close up work.

I used to have the original Lensbaby, and never got on with it, but the Composer looks a lot easier to handle.

2. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Lensbaby 3G

I've not used the Composer, but have the Lensbaby 3G, which I do like but which is so much hard work!
    I'm not sure if it is just me or not, but I don't think it focuses to infinity on the Panasonic G1 (using the Panasonic 4/3 - m4/3 adaptor).
    Here it is on the camera:

[​IMG]

All the Lensbabies have a separate removable aperture, which is a bit annoying but it does allow you to use shaped apertures very easily. I have both the close-up and telephoto supplementary lenses (the telephoto is attached in the image above) and they give a much greater use of the lens when attached to the G1. In fact, due to the crop factor of the G1, I reckon the wide-angle to be pretty essential.

I don't use this lens a lot, but it is fun. Here are some of my own favourite images using it on the G1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this is of some use.

• Like Like x 4
  3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Yep, that is quite useful.

I have a particular closeup project in mind, so I think the lensbaby might be a performer...just not sure :)

4. Justified_Sinner

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    In terms of closeups, you can be freakish or subtle with it but it needs the supplementary lenses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, all on G1.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    These are great, the last one in particular.

You mention the supplementary lenses, I couldnt see that these fit on the composer, but will try to find out.

If nothing else it gives another bit of creativity in the kit.

6. Justified_Sinner

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    The close-up lenses are the little filters on the left of the picture here:

http://www.lensbaby.com/accessories.php

They screw onto the lens like any other close-up filter. All of the second set of images above were taken with these filters fitted. You can also screw them underneath the supplementary lenses as these fit onto the filter thread too.

7. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    This is shot with an Canon EF mount Composer (and RJ composer). Much easier to use than on my 5D (easier to focus and you don't need to keep swapping it for an EF lens when you want to change aperture).

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/benobryan/4227860819/" title="Just a Bench by Ben Oh, on Flickr">[​IMG]"375" height="500" alt="Just a Bench" /></a>

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I have a lensbaby composer for Nikon, I just ordered an adapter for 4/3. I enjoy using the lensbaby when I shoot with 2 bodies. That way I can quickly choose lensbaby or not. I would have liked to have it today as I was in Union Square Green Market and it's always fun with flowers and fruit to use the lensbaby.

I have had several lens babies, I prefer the original which is now updated to the muse and the composer. The 3G was odd.

I would post some photos but we have no electricity. I returned home my power was off. All this week there was a big tree hanging into the street at a neighbors house three door down after last Sundays big storm. There were street barricades all week on our block. Today when Con Ed was finally removing it they shorted out our entire block. I am sitting in the dark with candles and flashlights on my mifi wifi card and about 3 hours (1 left) of computer battery power.

9. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Where are you?? My parents still don't have full power in howard beach

10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    My power came back about 1 AM. I'm in White Plains, NY. I know some people in my area have been without power all week. I didn't feel that bad only losing it for a few hours.

11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Here is a link to about 75 lensbaby photos from various cameras over the past 4 years taken with a variety of cameras.
    Lensbaby - a set on Flickr

12. mharges

mharges Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Washington State
    So I sprung for a Lensbaby

Not sure how it worked out this way but the new Lensbaby that I was expecting next week arrived today. Played around with it tonight and got one image that I like. The wierd part is that the images that had one area in focus were less satisfying than this one that was purposely all out of focus.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/47361582@N00/8079027872/" title="Mardi Gras Beads 02 by mlharges, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="Mardi Gras Beads 02"></a>