Lens Vertigo - Shooting a rail bridge

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcassat, Feb 2, 2012.

1. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Today I decided to take my lunch half hour and photograph an old rail bridge by the river. It's a beautiful day with big fluffy clouds and great reflections... I'll upload pics later but on with my story...

While the bridge is negotiable to foot traffic, there are gaps between the rail ties and it's about 30 feet to the river below.

I was standing about mid-point on the bridge and decided to change from my 9-18mm to my new 45mm. I'm wearing a wrist strap and fumbling in my pockets and dangling my camera and I've got the 45mm in my hand attempting to remove the lens cap when...

no, I didn't drop it. BUT, the thought occurred to me. I GOT THIS LENS YESTERDAY, my wife bought it for me just for the hell of it. :smile: How easy it would have been to mis-step or mishandle and lose the lens to the fish!

It was that moment of vertigo when you can see a potential future and you cannot imagine how you would deal with it.

I'm thinking a need a better way to change lenses in such circumstances, to say the least.

Your stories and advice are welcome!

p.s.
    I love the pictures from the 9-18 and the 45mm. Bridges are perfect for the 9-18. I used the 45 for the graffiti...

Dan

2. Piece of Work

Piece of Work New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2012
    Just get a second body!

Sorry, I could literally not resist.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If you had a bag you could change over the opening of the bag, and thus have a catcher if you fumble.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    When I am out in the boonies I normally just put the body on the ground and change it, or use a table, ledge, or sit down and change it in my lap.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    E-PM1s are cheap, and don't take up much space. ;)

6. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I usually use this method when I still used DSLR. Changing between 50mm and 17-40.

Start at : 2:30
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mCjjnDneRjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Since m43 lenses are small..so far, I think this is the fastest way to change between lenses for me. Or yeah..2 bodies... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Maybe if you mention the incident to your wife she'll buy you a second body just for the hell of it.

Fred

8. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA

Right on! :thumbup:

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree. A nice bag with a shoulder strap . When you have it around your head with the bag at your hip, it makes for an excellent safety net. I even wear mine positioned to flip open outwards from me.