Lens usage stats

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdk42, Sep 4, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My name is Paul and I'm a lensaholic! I'll admit that I love the gear side of things as much as the taking of photographs and as such I've built a rather-too-large collection of lenses. Should I prune? To help, I made a quick analysis of the last few months shooting and this is what I came up with:

It would be interesting to see how others' usage varies. Anyone care to post?

I was surprised at first to see the three Panasonic zooms so high. Together with the Oly 17/1.8 they make up 63% of my shots. Then I realised that I tend to keep those 4 lenses plus the E-M1 in a Billingham Hadley Small and it's my go-to landscape bag. Duh...

Should I prune the primes? Probably not - they live in a separate bag and are my go-to kit for street, low-light and portraits. Horses for courses. That 50-200 hardly gets used though. I might move that on - but then again when I need reach it's all I've got.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have similar thoughts, mine would look something like 12-40 (98%), everything else (2%). My wise wife advises against making rash choices though until baby is on solids and I finish my masters... haven't had much time to shoot lately so practically all my photos are of baby/family with the 12-40! Prior to that I used each of my lenses when the situation called for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    One thing to keep in mind: Are these rates over time, or are they just raw numbers. If you've had one lens a lot longer than another, you can't compare the raw number of shots to analyze usage.
  4. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    I don't think you can rate lenses by frequency of use.
    Specialty lenses like Fisheye and super teles can't be used too often because their unique perspectives make them too strong for frequent use. But when you do need one to make a statement, they can't be replaced by anything else.

Having them in your kit give you special capabilities your normal Joe won't have, even though you use them infrequently.

Your zooms, because of their flexibility and the fact that they are already on the camera from previous use, see a disproportionate percentage of use over your primes, even though the primes get you into the dark alleys and nightclubs when you need those big apertures to collect the faint light of nocturnal life.
    • Agree Agree x 1