Lens to use when ballooning - need suggestions

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
im going to do some ballooning while in Myanmar and I'm not too sure what lenses to use while flying over the temples in Bagan.
I have the Laowa 7.5, Oly 12 and P14-140mm lenses. I know I'll be using the 14-140 II but I'm not sure between the 7.5 and 12 mm which to use and I don't want to wind up in a fiasco changing lenses and being a right twit.
If there are people out there that have done ballooning I would gratefully like their advice between the 12 & 7.5 lenses

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
The ultra wide will be good for the up close shots on while you're in the basket. 12 is not much more than the 14. But 7 will get you some great close up shots of the balloon and selfie.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
12 isa bit wider than 14mm. It is not as if you can take step back in the basket. 7.5mm will allow the photographer to get shots of the burners, basket, balloon and landscape. I a variety of compositions.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is a case where I would be shooting two bodies. One with the 14-140 and one wide where my preference is the 9-18. There are lots of things to shoot, ranging from a few of people in the basket to (probably) a sunrise landscape to objects of various sizes on the ground. A second-best option would be to start with the WA and once the basket and sunrise shots are done, switch to the 14-140. I would also try using a monopod to get the camera somewhat above the basket looking downwards, shooting the people but with a lot of the ground objects in the background.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
7.5mm on an extended monopod, delayed shutter of 10 sec, set to burst mode, should get some good shots.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom