Lens tightness

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dougan, Jul 14, 2015.

1. dougan

dougan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    Doug
    I have just got the E-M10 and 14-42 EZ lens. I also managed to get the 45mm f1.8.

Having being used to Canon DSLR's, I found mounting the kit lens to be quite stiff to mount. When it came to the 45mm, I was in fear of breaking the lens trying to mount and dis-mount the lens, it is that stiff to turn. Is this normal?

2. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Its an issue that has been raised here several times. The E-M10 does seem to have a tight mount. Mine eased off after a few lens changes. I've not seen any reports of broken lenses because of it, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. Some members have suggested rubbing a finger on the side of the nose and using the oily finger to lubricate the mount.

Here's another thread from just last week:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/78151/#post-790913

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  3. dougan

dougan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    Doug
    Many thanks for the info

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My EM10 is kind of tight with some lenses, but I've never heard of it damaging a lens. Just make sure you're holding the lens by the appropriate part of the lens barrel.

5. dougan

dougan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    Doug
    Thanks for the advice, the lenses seem so small and fragile compared with my Canon lenses.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My 25/1.8 fits tightly to my EM1/EM5 Mk II, but all my other primes and zooms are as smooth as my F mount Nikons. production variances, would be my guess. Can happen both on the lens and the camera lens mounts.