1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens swap? Oly 75 for Oly 60?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TNcasual, Jul 11, 2016.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I bought the Oly 75 with my E-M5 from the Buy & Sell forum for a pretty decent price. I bought it because of it's prestige and light-gathering ability. I have captured some images that I am pretty happy with. I just don't seem to use it that much. It seems to fall in a length that is a little too narrow for what I typically shoot so I just don't find myself picking it up. I understand that it is a favorite of portrait shooters, and I tend not to shoot portraits that much.

On the other hand I like to shoot close focus nature shots with my Oly 14-150ii and MCON. I like the versatility of the 14-150 and ability to easily add or remove the MCON. But sometimes feel that I left a little something behind by not have a faster lens.

That got me thinking, should I replace the 75 with the 60? The 60 isn't that far off in length, but adds a great deal for close-focusing or macro. It is also weather-sealed so I shouldn't have an issue hiking with it. But, I would be giving up the versatility and adding back lens changes - which is why I went to the 14-150ii in the first place.

Thanks for you input!

2. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I'm new to photography, so take this with a grain of salt. I have the P14-140mm and a P42.5mm prime. Previously my default lens was the 14-140mm because I could take nearly any type of photo with it. I only pulled out the prime in lowlight situations. On a whim I decided to get the O60mm because I wanted to try out macro and I got a good deal on it. Its now one of my favorite lenses and its the lens I keep on the camera most of the time. Yes it does great macro shots and that goes w/o saying but most of my best Portrait shots have been with that lens as well. Its a VERY versatile and sharp lens. Check out the shots in the Showcase - Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro thread for whats its originally designed for but just know its capable of even more use cases.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    If the 75mm is too long and you like doing macro, this seems like an extremely reasonable idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I'm a little confused by your comment that you would be giving up versatility and adding back lens changes. You're not talking about getting rid of your 14-150ii, are you? You'll still have that for times when you want to avoid lens changes.

I can't comment on the 75mm, but the 60mm is a sweet lens. It's not my every day walkaround lens, but like CyVan, I love it when I use it, and not just for macro. Sounds like you're not bonding with your 75mm, so I'd say yes, go for it.

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I hike with the 14-150ii and MCON. That eliminates lens changes. If I where to hike with the 60 I would either have to add in lens changes, 60mm would be pretty narrow of forest shots, or take two bodies.

6. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    You're right that the 60 wouldn't be my choice for forest shots. I'd probably put the 14-150 on the camera, and bring both the MCON and the 60 with me.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just to comment on that last sentence, I'll just say that nobody shoot macros at f2.8. The DOF is usually too small even at f8, and at f2.8 it's miserable. You'll probably find yourself back at f5.6-8 for any closeups anyway.

8. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Yeah , the 60mm is not going to help with not changing lenses. But its a lot more versatile than the 75mm. You can focus on far objects all the way up to a couple centimeters and the f2.8 gives sufficient bokeh. There's another option if you want to do psuedo-macro with your 14-150 w/o having to change lenses. You could get a Amazon.com : Raynox DCR-150 Snap-On Macro Lens : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo or Amazon.com : Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Snap-On Lens : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo snapons lenses. They give excellent results and allow you to quickly snap it on to the front of the 14-150 to get much closer focusing and magnification. I have the DCR-250 and when i use it in conjunction with my 14-140mm it gets close to the native 060mm in terms of magnification. Snap it onto the O60 and its even more ridiculous, but the DOF is razor thin.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I should add. I may be willing to do this if the advantages of the 60mm outweigh what I get from the 75mm

10. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Huh, seems to work pretty well at f2.8 for me :) Of course, just having some fun. Typically I stop it down to f4 or f5.6 for more DOF.

And to the OP - I did the same thing. Loved the 75mm 1.8, but found that for my needs, the 60mm 2.8 worked better. I do miss the 75mm 1.8 at times though - just a special lens. 9.16.2014%20-%20Golden-X2.

3.29.14%20-%20Blue%20Flowers-X2.
    5.7.2014%20-%20Thorn-X2.
    10.29.2014%20-%20Magnetic%20Reflection_-X2.

• Like Like x 10
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have both lenses, and if I had to, the 75 would go before the 60. I think the 60 is very close to being as sharp as the 75, plus it is more versatile.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I should also mention that I do have some manual adapted macro solutions. I don't usually take them hiking though. They are either way to big - Leica Macro Elmar-R 100 4 on bellows, a little finicky and slow-using - Steinheil Munchen 75 3.5, or downright odd and unforgiving - Kaligar 1.5" 1.9.

Maybe I should take the Stenheil Munchen with me a couple of times to see how I would like it.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I knew when I used an absolute like "nobody" that someone would call me out on it! :)

Good shots.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The 75 is a special lens. I had one for a while when I had an E-M1 and used it to replace my Nikon 180mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 for portraits and event candid work. I've also owned the Sigma 60 and Oly 60 macro. Now I just have the Pan 42.5 f/1.7. It's long enough for my needs and because it has a 12" close focus distance it can handle my macro like needs though I do use extension tubes or diopter filter at times.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  15. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    The miniscule size and ease of use of the Oly 60mm would take care of that.

16. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    That describes me as well. The 75 yields wonderful IQ but I'm not a portrait guy and I find myself not using it a lot. I really should sell it. I use the 60 much more frequently and will often use it as my only lens while hiking. Yes, for some things it's way too long and I wish I had a wider field of view, but it's also very nice for isolating subjects and close focus work. Works quite well as a short telephoto lens as well. That said, I agree with the comment about depth of field. The closer you get to subjects the more the work becomes like using a long telephoto. Depth of field becomes thinner and thinner, and any motion becomes exaggerated. So if you are really doing macro work using a tripod is advised. I think the OP's current set up is probably a more versatile for a greater range of shots, but I suspect the OP would find the 60 generally more useful than the 75 for what he describes. I know I would not consider selling the 60 but even though I love the IQ from the 75, I probably should sell that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I have both. I also don't use the 75mm as much as I should, it's mainly an outdoors portrait lens, but I really like the shots that I do get from it.

I use the 60mm for macro, getting close details e.g. hands, feet, eyes of my daughter. I feel the rendering of the 60mm is different from other olympus lenses I've had, not necessarily better but different.

If I could only have one, it would be 60mm. But if I could afford it, I do enjoy having the 75mm for those times and situations where I can use it.

18. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I have (and LOVE) both lenses and use both regularly and would not want to give up either. That said, if I were forced to sell one, I would keep the 60 for versatility. I think you will be very impressed with how small it is (I had seen photos but was still shocked when I opened the box) and how much easier it is to create great macros with it vs. various adapter solutions.

19. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I wonder if anyone who has the EM-1 has the 60mm and tried the focus stacking feature with a small depth of field?

20. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I was in the same boat. My mind told me to keep the 60, but my heart kept the 75, mainly because It's also great for concerts and low light. I like portraits, but currently don't get the opportunity to do so on humans, but mostly just 4 legged friends.

IQ wasn't a factor. Both are outstanding. DOF wasn't either. I would have taken a loss reselling the 75, where as I was able to recoup my investment on the 60. I figured I could pick up another used one later if I changed my mind.