lens support

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rash_powder, Dec 28, 2011.

1. rash_powder

rash_powder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    I just scored a deal on a Vivitar 80-200mm F/4.0 lens.

I am guessing this piece is going to be big and heavy, so I will need to support the lens in some way.

Is there an add-on tripod mount for the big lenses or some trick? I was thinking maybe silver soldering a nut to a hose clamp and using that, but it just doesn't seem solid enough in my mind.

2. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    I've been seeing a couple adapters with built in tripod mounts. around 35 dollars. would seem questionable though putting that much money and faith into a tiny piece of chinese metal
  3. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks for that. I've got a Soligor 400mm lens coming (should be here today in fact) and been wondering about a "universal" tripod support. Looks like that will work perfectly.
  5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I had a Hexanon 300mm lens that was huge, it came with a lens collar that clamped around the lens near the mount. Basically you mounted the lens directly on the tripod and then hung the camera body off the back.
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Remember, that all those huge lenses are capable of bending the camera's lens mount ... so always carry the camera by the lens and never use the camera's tripod mount. I use a lens strap when slinging a big lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I put an old Vivitar on my EPL1 with the camera on the tripod with no extra support and didn't have any problems. The camera seemed well capable of handling it (the tripod could secure a larger weight).

I think the Vivitar in question (which looks the same as the one I had) in this thread is around the same weight as the 300 telephoto native lenses for m43 and the Panasonic 100-300 manual does not mention support, while it does have plenty of other warnings.
    I think a Vivitar 80-200mm f/4.0 is 1 lb 3.7 oz (555g?).