1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Suggestions required for Olympus E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ishoutloud, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ishoutloud

ishoutloud New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Planning to buy a new lens for my E-PL1 and I already have my kit lens 14-42mm. I want to buy a 17mmf2.8 and a 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens but will the 14-150mm f4.0-5.6 do all the job of 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, 17mm F2.8 and 40-150mm f4.0-5.6? theoretically it is yes, I know, practically will it work? and how will it do in low light conditions? Can any one suggest me on this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, a superzoom won't match the performance of dedicated lenses. Dedicated lenses with restricted focal lengths are sharper and faster. The more dedicated in focal length, the better the overall performance. Prime lenses with a single focal length (like the m.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 or the Lumix 20mm f/1.7) provide the sharpest quality and fastest aperture speed for their compact size. Panacke lenses (which both those primes mentioned are) are a little compromised in comparison with larger primes... but this is minor compared with the compromise of superzooms.

I've heard great things about the 14-140mm, but while it may compete with a slow telephoto like the 40-150mm, it will never match the performance of a good prime in your standard range. You mention the m.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8, but I would highly suggest looking into the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 as a better option. Or even the Lumix 14mm f/2.5.

• Like Like x 4
  3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i recently bought the 40-150....it seems to be an excellent addition to the kit lens.....the best thing is its weight, or lack of.....it is extremely light and simple to use.......and it's only $ 299 +/-.......i do hope to add the 300mm lens later......good luck............

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Definitely get one of the pancake primes, they're the best for 'social' situations. Fast enough to shoot in low light without stupid flash (especially the 20/1.7 but the others are good too).

5. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    I have exactly the lens trio you are willing to buy: Oly 14-42, 40-150 and 17. I usually use them as this: The 17 when I want to go light (no bag, or a tiny one), as de 35mm equiv is a very versatile angle of view; 14-42 as an architecture/urban lens (I like to shoot wide); and 40-150 when I need to get close in an unobstrusive way, or if it's impossible to walk there. I think it is a great lens combo, and I don't have a big lens in front of the camera all the time, like would probably happen with teh 14-150. But I have to confess: sometimes I have to chenge lenses, and when it becomes more frequent, it gets annoying.

Anyway, I use the wide angle more often, because of my (still forming) shooting style. I suggest you take the lens(es) that best suit your needs,

6. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    This may be my next major investment for my Pen. I am thinking about the 14/2.5. Is the 20 so much faster or sharper that I should sacrifice the wider angle and pay more?

-Steve

7. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    They're both great (although the 20 is sharper in the center). Start with the 14 since it's readily available - I would imagine the 20mm will be a lot easier to come by once the 25/1.4 comes out.

The 14 really makes the camera tiny and unobtrusive - great for museums, restaurants, parties, street work, etc. It's super quiet and super fast focusing as well. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    "Unobtrusive" is what I want on the pen. That and slipping it into and out of a pocket on the sly to shoot from the hip. Wider helps there.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    IMO the 20 is too narrow to take decent shots across a table. I got the 14.

• Like Like x 1