1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens suggestions for Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand tour

Discussion in 'Travel Tips and Discussion' started by Ig7, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Planning to take an organized tour of those 3 countries and was wondering if I need to carry my 40-150 with me. Appreciate advice.
    Thank you

2. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, for what subjects?
    Wildlife in the jungles could perhaps benefit from the brighter aperture vs your superzoom.

3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I would take the 40-150.
    In the last few years I traveled to two of those countries. In Vietnam I only took the 12-40 pro and regretted it. For Cambodia I too a bridge camera, never again.
    On my last trip to Borneo I purchased a 100-300 and was really glad I took it, but in hindsight I should have taken my 40-150 pro and TC.

I find I am using the long telephotos more than the short ones these days. Being able to zoom in for temple shots is really good.

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Well, you already have the 12-100. I presume you were planning to take that? 40-150 would only give you 50 mm extra, or effectively 200 mm to 300 mm. Dunno. Depends on how much you're willing to carry and what you're going to shoot. Sometimes, it's good to zero in on small details. In my friend's experience, humidity there tends to be high and rain frequent, so the fewer lens changes you make, the better off you'll be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thai-Mike

Thai-Mike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    I tried many lenses going around Thailand. I ended up with the 12-40 (in cities, temples, etc.. and landscape), and also I replaced the 40-150 with the 75-300. Great landscape lens too as well for the zoos and national parks

But don't forget to enjoy your trip

6. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

It can get very hot in those countries and if you aren’t accustomed to tropical conditions it can make life pretty miserable if you are carrying lots of gear.
    I have been to those countries many times and use my 12-35mm and 35-100mm Pana zooms 95% of the time. The longer lengths come in very handy for portraits when you want some subject separation. A small fast prime might be handy for low light the 17mm 1.8 or pana 20mm are small and light.
    The 40-150mm is much larger than the 35-100mm but if you are comfortable carrying it at home then I would bring it, but be prepared for it to seem twice as heavy if you arent used to high temperatures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Just noticed you have the 12-100 and 25mm 1.2. I would just take those two, they would work well for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    I always bring 7-14 for city shots along with 35-100 .

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Why not the Bridge Camera again?

10. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Fair question. I guess I like my Mu-43 gear better, and the bridge camera now has some dead pixels and they cant be mapped out. :( 

11. The Dream

The Dream Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2017
    City or jungle?

Last December I mainly used my 14-140mm in Vietnam. I see you have a 14-150mm. Why not that instead?

Anyway, here're the shots I took. Maybe it'll help you decide:
    What’s in my Camera Bag – Micro Four Thirds Travel Lite Vietnam Edition

12. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    Keep in mind that those places are very hot and humid and after several hours on your photo walk, you will certainly start wishing that you were carrying less camera gear. Based on my own experience, I have narrowed down my travel gear to the following: G7 body, a Lumix 14-45 and Pana Leica 25 mm 1.4 (for indoor shots). I find that I rarely wish that I had another lens (although I sometimes think that the 12-60 would be a better choice). Enjoy your travels and your photos.

13. Deslok

Deslok New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2018
    I personally take my 12-40 and 45-200 when I don't know what I'd be shooting, however as @The Dream@The Dream says you have a 14-150(A lense I wish I had) I'd probably bring that with me and maybe leave a lense at the room as a backup if something happened to it(like the 12-100) so I could just carry one lens.

14. Antonio Correia

Antonio Correia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    I think it all depends on how much you want to carry and what type of photography you do.
    I am heading to Burma for 21 days, next month.
    I will take the fabulous Oly 7-14 (which I usually use a lot), the Oly 12-40 (which I do not appreciate very much) and perhaps the Oly 40-150 (which is also fabulous with a lousy lens hood and too heavy).
    Ah ! two Oly 5 Mk II bodies !
    I regret not taking the Pan/Leica 42.5 but I have to save on... my body.
    I share the lenses with my wife caring a Panasonic GX7.
    When travelling something that worries me is the amount of stuff I take with me: MacBook Pro (small one), chargers, iPhone, charger for the phone (as the GPS eats a lot of energy) and cables, cables, cables...
    In hotels we have to charge: 4 batteries for Oly 5 MkII and 5 to the Panasonic. Eventually the phone, chargers and computer. Uff ! :doh: :confused: 
    Add to this: passports, tickets, energy tablets, various papers... :coco:

:thumbup::) 

15. Just a thought related to your mention of cables, cables, cables...

A couple of years ago I got rid of all my nuisance charger cables by using the plug end off of a couple of broken iPads that I had. I believe I also had one from an Android phone as well. So my only essential but nuisance bulkier cables for traveling consist of a 5 foot HDMI cable (which I wouldn’t have to take and could buy one at a dollar store in the country I am visiting, if I needed to) for plugging my laptop or iPad into a TV in hotel rooms (watching tv shows on internet), and the power cable for my MacBook Air. Aside from those two, I carry two or three very short and non-intrusive usb3 cables for my 4 external hard drives that slip in beside them in my camera bag. Oh and my iPad/iPhone cable rolls up small and doesn’t take any space.

E26D944C-D192-4AB7-A19A-56F261928901.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Chargers for E-M1 and E-M10​

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mikehit

Mikehit Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2018
    It all depends on what you like to take pictures of and what lenses you will definitely pack. If you are packing the 12-100 and the 25 PRO then in those countries on an organised tour I am not sure you would have much opportunity for wildlife. How much do you use the 45-150 in 'normal' life and under what circumstances?

I travelled Vietnam in 1991 with a 28,mm, 50mm and 180mm on a 35mm film camera and don't recall ever needing anything longer. So IMO you are covered with the 25 and 12-100. Even for portrait photography the 12-100 at f4 will blur the background nicely - spend less time on trying to get award-winning shots and more time enjoying yourself and recording it.
    I presume you are taking both bodies...?

17. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone for bringing up good points. Considering it is an organized Tauck tour (I am traveling with my mom), we will not be going into the jungle or anywhere they cannot fit a group of at least 25. I will not have a lot of opportunity to set up a tripod and take my time so was not even planning to bring it with me to avoid extra weight. Always avoided full frame because of the weight I cannot carry and got into m43 because of that. Between the camera and lenses getting bigger and heavier and me always upgrading, expecting for them to make up for my lack of skills, the bag is getting pretty heavy to carry around these days :) . Based on your comments I think I will definitely bring my 12-100, leave the 40-150 home and instead put the 14-150 on my old EM1 to bring as a spare. I wonder if I can avoid bringing 25, which is quiet heavy and just up the iso on the EM1ii?

18. I agree totally with your choices of the 12-100 (perfect travel lens) and if you want to have 14-150 on a second body gives you the extra reach and a perfect backup. Too bad you didn’t have the 1.8 version of the 25. That would give you all the bokeh and lower light gathering ability you would need - and would be insignificant in your camera bag. I have my 45mm 1.8 with me all the time, for those odd times I want to pull it out for a specific purpose. I would love to have the 12-100 f4 myself. Hopefully some day. But I tend to prefer the small lightweight kit lenses (14-42 & 40-150) for my daily travel work. A tripod is not necessary. If you were going into jungles or shooting wild animal life, or surfing shots where you need reach —- you would need a 75-300 type length and could forget about taking the 14-150.

19. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    12-100 is great! I traded both of my 12-35 and 35-100 for it after I got tired of swapping lenses during my Canadian Rockies trip. Might get away without needing the bokeh as I don't feel comfortable with street photography. Always feel funny taking pictures of strangers

20. Mikehit

Mikehit Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2018
    Also, have you considered buying second hand some small primes such as the 17mm f2.8 and 45mm f1.8 for when you want to travel really light? Great little lenses for portraits and interiors - one on each body and all you need is a small belt pouch to carry 'the other' combo with one round your neck and may help on those days you are on-and-off the tour bus. You could sell them on your return and lose relatively little in relation to the cost of the holiday overall?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.