1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens suggestion for Memphis/Nashville trip

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Swandy, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I just got the EM10 (replaced EP5) and deciding whether to take that or the Stylus 1 on a long weekend trip to Memphis (ELVIS!!!!) and Nashville. When I got the Stylus 1 I planned on that being my vacation camera, but I have been so impressed with the size and IQ of the EM10, I think I will take that along.

Most of my travel trips (have not done a safari yet) the shots tend to be in the wide to normal range. I currently have the 14-42IIR (soon to be replaced if I like it with the pancake EZ version), the 40-150II and the Panasonic 14mm/2.5 (probably to be replaced by the Olympus 25mm/1.8).

To those who have lived in/visited the two cities - is there much call for the longer lens aside from the occasional "detail" shot? I would prefer to keep the kit small and just take the 14-42 (whichever I have), the 14mm/25mm (whichever I have for low light/night) and perhaps the BCL Fisheye to play with and I don't plan on making large prints - especially of the "detail' shots.

Thanks

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    My suggestion would be the Stylus 1. Convenience.

3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    If you buy the 25/1.8 in time, put it in the EM-10, and take that and the Stylus 1.

But it sounds like you like to travel light, so I'd probably just take either the EM-10 + 14-42 or the Stylus 1. Probably makes no difference which.

4. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    It sure does: 14-42 vs 14-150

5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Should have been more clear: Probably makes no difference… for the kind of photo opportunities he'd have in Nashville/Memphis. I'm well aware those two options have vastly different tele reach.

6. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    One never knows what opportunities come up. That extra reach could come in handy. Just saying.

7. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    That has been my thought, but I still feel that even with the kit lens, the EM10 gives better IQ than the Stylus 1 (which I really like).
    As far as "traveling light" - yep, that's me. I did some trips years ago with the big camera bag and multiple lenses and just don't enjoy it as much anymore. I still love photography - especially if traveling somewhere I have not been before - just don't necessarily love the big camera bag and changing of lenses. That is why I had replaced the XZ-2 with the Stylus. But after comparing (and I really need to take some more exact comparison photos) the results from the Stylus 1 and the EM10 - and the fact that with a small lens they are almost the same size/weight - I think I would rather take along the EM10. Especially to someplace I don't plan on visiting on a regular basis.

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    You of course are right. That is why I was asking opinions of people who have been there before. I know from my past trips that I tend to shoot much more (probably 85%) of my shots in the "wide to normal" range.

9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    My own experience is that most cities are pretty much the same in terms of photo opportunities. If you generally shoot wide- to mid-range, then I wouldn't expect those two places to be any different.

10. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    For travelling, I have come to realise that 1 good zoom is all you need. Hence I use the 12-40mm.

Unless u are that for s very specfic type of photography, I would not bother with a load of lenses. Take the time to enjoy the sights.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2