1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens Storage

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Feb 14, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been looking for a decent case for my cameras and lenses, but I'm still coming up short. However, a while back I came up with a way to at least store my lenses in a video case, not quite designed for regular cameras, where the regular dividers just wouldn't hold. I just grabbed a bunch of neoprene stubbie coolers and put them in the case and each one holds a lens perfectly. In fact, this method is probably better than the usual insert dividers, as they protect the lenses very well and can be easily taken out and put in briefcase, or the like, when travelling and you don't need to take everything. With smaller lenses, you can stack them in one stubbie cooler if you want.

Here's a shot of the case with lenses and camera (the other body is in the pouch at the front, without lens):

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of my Leica 135mm Tele-Elmar in it's holder:

[​IMG]

What this has revealed to me is that I don't really need a dedicated camera case, just anything of a suitable size and I can use stubbie coolers as protective dividers (and like a good Aussie, I'll always have a stubbie cooler on hand :biggrin:).

As an aside, I took these shots with my E3 and when I tried to preview the shot through the eyepiece, I thought that something had gone wrong with the camera, as I couldn't get a preview in the viewfinder. Then I realised that I could only get that on the LCD screen. Doh! How quickly one gets used to something like the Pen's EVF. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 3
  2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Shouldn't there be a beer in there?

3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Very nice idea... wonder where I can get some of those 'stubbie coolers' here in the UK?

Cheers

Brian

4. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Great idea using koosies as lens dividers. Did you ever find a suitable leather bag for you Pen?

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I picked up 2 of these to accommodate all my manual lenses (or lenses w/aperture rings - all the ones I can use with my GF1). They are very well made and nicely padded, and have big velcro belt loops that are great for attaching to the outside of a bag as well. Offers a nice modular way to carry only what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Safrotto-Protector-Padded-Camera-Lens-case

They attach perfectly to the sides of this bag, which (when the GF1/20 isnt in my coat pocket) is the perfect size for the gf1/20:

http://www.techforless.com-quantaray-delta

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Not yet, I'll still looking, but it might be easier now not having to worry so much about the inserts.

Cheers

Ray

7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Ray, not to hijack this thread, but you might want to check out...

http://renaissance-art.com/catg154/category.aspx

...for a bag idea. I just ran into that site a few days ago and think I may order one of these for a walk-around street bag for my e620 -- especially now that I've discovered your stubbies cooler trick.

I realize you're in Oz, so shipping may be a snag. But thought you might appreciate the tip.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks. I've considered the messenger bags before, but if they could be say 6" deep, rather than 3", then they'd almost fit the bill. I think I'm relegated to getting one made, since I'm being too specific for what's out there ready made.

Cheers

Ray