1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens storage

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Speedliner, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    hi folks,

Quick question...How do you store your lenses? Our house temp varies from 64 to 74 degrees depending on time of year and time of day, 35% humidity. Old lenses have always been in a camera bag in a closet, but out of sight, out of mind, so I want to store the new gear more at hand.

I have an empty drawer in my study that I thought I would line with foam and keep them and a few accessories there. Are there any issues with lenses lying on their sides? Should they be stood up on their mounts only?

The drawer would be most convenient. Shelves are in short supply. :)

Thanks,
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have my gear in a bookcase with that has a glass doors in my home office. The lenses are in neoprene pouches.

• Like Like x 1
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In a dry, temperature controlled environment like your house, the lenses will be in perfect condition when your great, great grandchildren use them. The orientation of lenses is irrelevant lying in a drawer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I keep my most of my stuff in my office area stored in a wall mounted metal shelf/hanger with open wire doors so I can always see what I have in there. Makes it easy to just grab and go.

Attached Files:

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    In open camera bags on a credenza in my office.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If I were going to setup a draw for lens storage I'd probably fill it with Pick N Pluck foam.

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Lol Davidzvi, that's the plan. $12 worth of pick & pluck on the way. Then I read on a blog NOT to lay lenses on their side for extended periods of time as that causes oil leaks. Seemed like one of those possible, but not probable things, so thought I'd ask here. There is air circulation through this drawer, so I thought it perfect.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I use Pelican style cases with pick & pluck foam and a desiccant insert. Humidty runs in the high 90's here - very much moderate maritime climate - not to hot not to cold.

And a cat that enjoys interior parkour.

9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Here's what I came up with for home storage. I had more space in drawers than on shelves, so Pick n Pluck it was in one shallow and one deep drawer. Bottom layers are anti-static foam. Probably wasn't necessary, but why not. Under the PnP is a 1/4 layer of solid ant-static foam. Wanted something underneath any lens that was big enough to remove all of the PnP to fit so no parts would ever rest on the hard surface. Overkill, but I had fun.

First, obvious fact is that I clearly need more lenses!

4f3366b4bdd6b17c12a09e24b58ba11b.
    d6a2e2809ccc2f3f139bb765b38c4ef1.

• Like Like x 2
  10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mine are on a book shelf with plenty of open air and light. They're at the back and being m4/3 (so fairly small and light), aren't likely to fall down in an earthquake (this has been tested).

• Like Like x 1
  11. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    hy.
    I live in a wet country with above 70% humidity so I have to take care of the lenses carefully to avoid fungus, I don't use air conditioner either.
    Cheap solution, just DIY dry boxes from a plastic transparent container, sealed them, put a heavy duty dehumidifier and an analog hygrometer in there. I can keep 40-50% humidity inside the boxes.
    Regularly check the dehumidifier, it is full of water, I'll change it with a new one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1