Lens statistics and predictions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Jan 13, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In the process of adding some late 2012 entrants to the lens chart, I thought it would be interesting to put together some statistics.

Currently we have 40 native m4/3 lenses for photography, and that doesn't even count toy lenses or video-specific ones.

m4/3 AF lenses: 30 (17 zooms, 13 primes)
    m4/3 MF lenses: 10 (all primes)

In 2012, we got 14 new lenses - 8 with autofocus and 6 manual focus.

Looking back at lens releases by Olympus and Panasonic, the breakdown is as follows:

Year O P
    -------------
    2012: 4 / 3
    2011: 5 / 3
    2010: 5 / 4
    2009: 2 / 4
    2008: 0 / 2

Going by this, it looks like we can expect 4-5 new lenses from Olympus and 3-4 from Panasonic in 2013.

Panasonic has already hinted at a long telephoto (150/2.8) and fast portrait (42.5/1.2), but otherwise things are open, and Olympus of course hasn't divulged any future plans.

So what other lenses are you expecting to be released in 2013?

My personal guesses:

Olympus
    70-300/4-5.6 - 75-300 replacement at a lower price
    12-35/2.8-3.5 - fast zoom for their new high-end OM-D
    15/2.8 - inexpensive wide-angle prime

Panasonic
    7-14/4 OIS - update for the existing 7-14/4
    42.5/1.2 - on the roadmap
    150/2.8 - on the roadmap

• Like Like x 1
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm hoping for something like a 12-50 or 12-60 'high grade' zoom to compete with the Panny, with a little more range. In zooms of that type, which I tend to use for travel and landscape, so stopped down, slightly greater range at the expense of speed is a good trade-off for me.

3. jap

jap Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    If Olympus truly introduces a new pro body by the end of this year, this would be a perfect time for them to introduce a pro-level standard zoom---say, 14-35/2.5.

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's what I've been waiting for too. But in my gut I don't think they will - too much money to be made at the high end. Plus for an OM-D Pro, I think they'll go for something fancy, at the expense of range and flexibility.

I agree. But I imagine they have to do something to distinguish it from the Panasonic 12-35/2.8. Not quite sure what - my guess was slower at the long end, but a slightly lower price and perhaps some special feature (full-time MF, full metal barrel...).

5. jap

jap Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    Actually, I am really hoping for a µ4:3's version of the SHG 14-35/2. However, I don't know if Oly ZD is gonna compete with themselves, since a pro OMD will allow additional sales of the already designed SHG and HG 4:3's lenses, although in more humongous sizes.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a pro-caliber 20/1.4. This focal length is a great compromise between the 25mm and 17/17.5mm-type optics and can be employed anywhere these focal lengths are normally utilized: environmental portraits, street/candid, reportage/photojournalism, stage/theater (for wide shots), townscapes, landscapes, flora, travel, night/low light/available light.

Eventually, if they are truly serious about going pro with the µ4:3's platform, it would be nice to a 12/2.8 tilt & swing lens, among other interesting options. It would be a great advantage to architectural/interior photographers to have a tiny pro-level system for what is essentially almost always location work. The legacy Zuiko 24/3.5 shift lens was a huge hit, with pro photographers actually switching systems because of this one lens. A 12/2.8 T&S could be even bigger.

6. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I would love to see a 150mm f2.8, with or without OIS, as I have an OM-D. Currently playing with a Leica R 180mm f2.8, via adaptor. It weighs a ton and is all manual, but the optical quality, colour redition and Leica feel are worth the inconvenience. So I would love a fast, autofocus Lumix/Leica lens in this region, particularly if it focused closer than the Leica's 2m. Using extension tubes on the Leica is also great for keeping your distance from insects so as not to spook them. Also agree with JAP that a 20/1.4 would be great. One of my favourite lenses of all time was my Leica CL 40mm f2 Summicron on my M3 — it is a great angle of view for street, interiors or performance, and at f1.4 it would be delicious. I am also playing with an Olympus 4/3ds 11-22 f2.8, via adaptor — the 11mm setting is wider than anything I have had before and the 22mm covers that "wider than normal" spot, like my CL. The autofocus is slow but usable. I would also love an autofocus [Oly or Pan] 85mm f1.4 to replace my manual Rokinon of the same specs.

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Sounds like you have the first version of the Leica 180mm f/2.8. The second version weighed less than 500g.

All I really want is native focusing speed with my existing 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD. It also weighs a ton, but I appreciate the flexibility of the zoom and its great IQ. This forthcoming "pro" model will hopefully satisfy that.

8. feilb

feilb Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I just want Pany to tell me how much their two roadmap lenses will be :)

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How about a smaller (not as wide)/brighter (1.4)/quicker focusing P20 :) -- I know, I'm greedy and irrational. Or, if you could do the last two, I could drop the first one.

More a wish list, then any reason I think it would be coming.

10. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    To Maubrey... just weighed the Leica R 180mm f2.8 — with adaptor [Pana] and UV filter it is 1.482kg, with caps on its 1.505kg. But: He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One thing that I think will happen by the end of this year is 1-3 more Sigma lenses and at least 1 Tamron lens{hopefully more!}. Tokina might also have an AF m4/3 lens. Samyang may also have another lens or two, possibly with AF{I read someplace that they said they are working on developing AF lenses}.

I do hope that the new Olympus 75-300 is cheaper because the current one is ridiculously high. I do think that Olympus will make higher end zooms if only to compete with Panasonic. I personally want them to be cheaper! I would be happy even if they were a bit slower as long as they are cheaper.

I read someplace that one if not both of the new Panasonic lenses will not be available til 2014. Both look interesting on paper but they will be $1500+ each, way overpriced in my book. I doubt these will be their only new lenses but any others will either be upgraded versions of current lenses or lower grade lenses.

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Some kind of fast zoom from Olympus would be awesome. I am getting a feeling that they don't really want to compete with Panasonic on higher end stuff though. There's not a lot of higher end lenses that these 2 companies released that are very similar, at the same time anyway. I hope I am wrong and Olympus does do a fast zoom though.

Those fast primes from Panasonic sound great. Probably super expensive though :cool:

13. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would like to see Olympus do some work on their zooms. High end 12 - 35 or 14 - 60, a redone 40 - 150, a faster not cheaper 75 - 300 replacement. After that a decent 25mm would be nice.

15. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I'll try and differentiate what I'd like Olympus to make vs what I believe they'll introduce.

I think they will not create competition for their SHG lenses, if their pro body supports them seamlesly.

So IMHO:

- 12-50mm f/2.8-4 as a high end kit zoom
    - 25mm f/1.8 as a lower price competitor to the Panasonic 25mm
    - more economical long range zoom, probably 75-300mm
    - one high grade telephoto zoom, perhaps 50-150 or 50-200 (f/2.8-4)

16. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I'm guessing we see a 25-75 and an update to the 75-300 by olympus. They are trying to get rid of the 40-150 by basically giving them away right now on their website so I'm thinking a 25-75 could be in the works. If not that then maybe just a straight update to the 40-150.

I could see another fast tele prime too. Maybe a 100mm f/2.8.

I don't have any idea what panasonic is going to do other than what they announced. A 50mm f/1.4 would be sweet though.

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    25-75? That's a new lens to me.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Yeah...and a very weird (and to me wholly unattractive) focal range. As a pair of primes, yes, but as a zoom? Nope.

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That sounds likely too - the third party manufacturers can clearly see where the sales are, and it feels like m4/3 has reached critical mass.

The main question to me is whether we'll get native designs, or repurposed APS-C (read: NEX) ones. I have a feeling they're mostly going to be the latter, which means awkward focal lengths, and no true wides. But perhaps we'll get lucky...

They were a bit vague at the Photokina pre-pre-announcement, saying 2013-2014. I expect you're right about prices.

20. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I like shooting video with my Panasonics but typically have non OIS primes on the body. I'm hoping for a normal FAST prime with OIS (14-32). The PL25 would just about never come off if it had OIS. I switch on the 14-42x just so I have OIS. I find maybe it's b/c i'm getting older or I drink too much coffee my arm crimping, wall leaning, and evf using techniques still produce some shake in my videos if I don't have OIS hand held.