Lens Snobery DOF and Other Stuff

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ksgeag, Oct 14, 2016.

1. ksgeag

ksgeag New to Mu-43

May 9, 2011
    Long time reader here, not sure but I think first time post.

Is it me, or are the lenses available for m43 a step above? I have a bunch of adapters for different brand lenses and have tried many. The native lenses are the best I've used.
    I have noticed people comment on lack of lens choice compared to canikon but They seem to have plenty of duds comparatively speaking.

DOF seems to be a hot topic in many posts I was never able to shoot FF wide open much because of lack of DOF. I can shoot M43 quite a bit and find Its looks quite good.
    Anybody find the same results?

I use my E-M1 often I rarely think "I wish it was better" But... New lenses.... that's another story and I have no idea why. The short list continues to grow longer
    Is there maybe a help 800 number for this problem?

Thanks all for posting on this and other forums I will go back to reading and enjoying the many posts and pics
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Modern lens technology in regards to IQ is great across not only m43 , but Nikon, Canon, Fuji, etc.

The differences are pretty much in ergonomics and size.

An OEM lens generally should be better than an adapted lens because it was designed to be optimal for that system.

That being said, I love the fact that I can use any of my Oly lenses wide open and get superb image quality.
  3. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    More like a $2000 than an 800 number ;) but it's true with many brands. The 4Thirds lenses were pretty amazing as well, which led to today's :mu43: small wonders.
  4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I agree about DOF, at least for me. I never need faster than f2 in FF. Anyway, I'm completely satisfied with my m43 lenses and have only the 8mm fisheye on my wish list, waiting for black Friday.
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    IMHO, the high grade M43 lenses are superb, and in many cases, better than many FF lenses. Some are just exceptional, like the recent Olympus Pro and Panasonic Leica lenses. Even the kit lenses are no slouches. One of my favorite lenses is an adapted 4/3rds lens. And, with the recent addition of long telephoto lenses, the range is quite broad. Why do some people still grumble? :)
  6. ksgeag

ksgeag New to Mu-43

May 9, 2011
    no grumbling here. Used Canon for years I liked it for pro use don't do that any more just personal and travel stuff. Love the pl25 and the o12mm 12-40mm is pretty awesome to but I don't use it much mostly small primes Oh and the o45mm pretty sweet