1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens set

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dangermouse1968, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    So, I'm really enjoying my GF1 and 14-45. I just inherited a little money, only a few hundred pounds but am thinking about a new lens. Of course, the 20 mm is an obivous candidate but should I save for the highly rated Oly 12 mm F2 instead. Would I loose any functionality?

I gues in the long-term I think I would like the equivalents of SLR / 35mm: 24mm (12 mm at 4/3), 35 mm (18 mm at 4/3) and 90 mm (45 mm at 4/3), then maybe a long zoom and an unltra-wide. The first two lenses are only available from oly!!!

I like landscapes, street photography and family shots.

Thanks,

David

2. Willabeast

Willabeast Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Well... your zoom cover the 35mm SLR range you mention but zooms are not as sharp all way through their range as a prime is. One of the things I love about primes is that they force us to compose a shot, not just zoom in to the interesting bit. You can, of course, zoom with your feet, but a prime really makes me think about the picture's composition, not just snapping several shots at different lengths and evaluating later.

I would have a look at the photos you've taken with the zoom and evaluate them for focus and composition and see where using a prime would have made for a better capture... then buy that length and put the others on your gift wishlist!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, the first one (12mm f/2) is only available from Olympus, but for the 18mm EFL the m.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 or the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 are just as close to that field of view. I would definitely go with the Lumix if given the choice.

The least clear decision then would be the 45mm focal length. You have the choice of the new m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 or the older Leica 45mm f/2.8. Basically, do you prefer a slower macro lens, or would you prefer a faster non-macro lens (a good 1½ stops faster)?

Or... Would you like all those in a sharp, fast zoom lens which is still quite compact? Take a look at the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Mark II with Four-Thirds adapter... or if you really need the 12mm (and don't mind a bit of extra bulk), try the Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 SWD. The 14-54mm II is CDAF optimized though, which should make it auto-focus faster on the Panasonic body. Or there's the Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 which is faster but shorter, and a very high-quality lens.