Lens set

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dangermouse1968, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    So, I'm really enjoying my GF1 and 14-45. I just inherited a little money, only a few hundred pounds but am thinking about a new lens. Of course, the 20 mm is an obivous candidate but should I save for the highly rated Oly 12 mm F2 instead. Would I loose any functionality?

I gues in the long-term I think I would like the equivalents of SLR / 35mm: 24mm (12 mm at 4/3), 35 mm (18 mm at 4/3) and 90 mm (45 mm at 4/3), then maybe a long zoom and an unltra-wide. The first two lenses are only available from oly!!!

I like landscapes, street photography and family shots.

Thanks,

David

2. Willabeast

Willabeast Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Well... your zoom cover the 35mm SLR range you mention but zooms are not as sharp all way through their range as a prime is. One of the things I love about primes is that they force us to compose a shot, not just zoom in to the interesting bit. You can, of course, zoom with your feet, but a prime really makes me think about the picture's composition, not just snapping several shots at different lengths and evaluating later.

I would have a look at the photos you've taken with the zoom and evaluate them for focus and composition and see where using a prime would have made for a better capture... then buy that length and put the others on your gift wishlist!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, the first one (12mm f/2) is only available from Olympus, but for the 18mm EFL the m.Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 or the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 are just as close to that field of view. I would definitely go with the Lumix if given the choice.

The least clear decision then would be the 45mm focal length. You have the choice of the new m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 or the older Leica 45mm f/2.8. Basically, do you prefer a slower macro lens, or would you prefer a faster non-macro lens (a good 1½ stops faster)?

Or... Would you like all those in a sharp, fast zoom lens which is still quite compact? Take a look at the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Mark II with Four-Thirds adapter... or if you really need the 12mm (and don't mind a bit of extra bulk), try the Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 SWD. The 14-54mm II is CDAF optimized though, which should make it auto-focus faster on the Panasonic body. Or there's the Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 which is faster but shorter, and a very high-quality lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.