1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens selection Panny 14-45 vs. Oly 45mm Prime

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by maflynn, Aug 3, 2012.

1. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Here's my dilemma, I'm a bit dissatisified with the kit lens that came with my EM5, the 12-50 is a decent lens but on that larger size. Plus that sliding ring keeps moving to automatic zoom which is annoying.

I've read some good things about the 14-45 LUMIX G VARIO lens, though it may discontinued for the less liked 14-42.

I own the Panasonic 20mm pancake and I'm thinking of either picking up the Oly 45mm prime and use both to basically cover the focal length of the kit lens. True, it would require more lens exchanging but I'd have two great fast lenses

The other alternative is to buy the Panasonic 14-45mm lens. I'm looking basically for something that will be used for day to day all around usage.

Thoughts opinions

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Analyse the focal lengths you use the most on the zoom (plenty of small freeware progs to do that). If you are at 40-50 a lot, by all means get the 45: a wonderful lens. If you are at the 12-18 end a lot, think about the 9-18 or keep the 12-50.

I sold my 12-50 and got the 9-18, I knew from my Nikon days that I prefer wide. Later added the 45 and am very happy with it!

3. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I generally stick closer the the long end of things for what ever reason, and I have the 20mm for indoors and what not.

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Sounds like the 45 would be perfect for you. It's a lovely lens. Plenty of photos in hte forum, here's one from me:

RHP_2012_06_17_Christleben_Hagener_Str_64_DxO.jpg

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The 45 is also great indoors (concerts, plays, large spaces) as it is a fairly fast lens. I've gone away from zooms and use mostly primes. I have to zoom with my feet, but that's usually not a problem unless you run out of room. I keep the kit lens just for video.

6. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    The speed, and sharpness of the prime is what I like. the prospect of needing to sawp out when I'm walking around has me a little concerned but as I mentioned I seem to stick to about 40mm when shooting. When I need something closer or I'm indoors I have my 20mm prime.

7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Go for the 45: sounds like you won't regret it one bit ...