1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens selection for Chicago Marathon?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by homebrewdude, Oct 5, 2012.

1. homebrewdude

homebrewdude Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    I am new to 43's and new to the lenses.

I have an OM-D camera.
    50-200mm/2.8~3.5 olympus or
    100-300mm 4.0~5.6 Panasonic

I think the Panny is too long, but the focus is quick/accurate
    I am worried about the Olympus focus speed, but I should have a faster shutter speed.

I am leaning towards the Olympus 50-200mm, for shots of the people running (people I know)

Then bring my 20mm for the before/after race shots.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Unless you're incredibly fast with manual focusing, you're not going to get much with the 50-200mm. The Panasonic is probably your best bet, if the long reach is what you want.

Personally, I think I'd go with the Olympus 75mm f/1.8.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If you think the 100-300 might be too long, maybe consider the 45-175 Panasonic. I'm thinking the 50-200 4/3 lens might be frustrating in an environment like this to work with. Not sure you could find a non-swd version of the 50-200 for cheaper than the 45-175. Granted, the Pansonic lens doesn't have a super fast aperture, but you'll have plenty of light and IBIS plus a wide ISO range. The 45-175 is supposed to be sharp at the long end and that will give you quite a bit of reach, especially considering you have the OM-D and can crop a decent amount. This lens is under $300 from Amazon right now.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hands down the 100-300. It shouldn't be too tight and it will focus on S-AF fast enough to capture runners.

Gary

5. homebrewdude

homebrewdude Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    I took both lenses to my kids soccer game today.

100-300mm had more shots and more shots in focus
    50-200mm was defiantly useable for AF, just not as good as the 100-300mm

I found myself mostly in the 75-150mm range when shooting.

Still a little worried about the 100-300mm being too close.

Marathon is this Sunday, I will be taking the 100-300mm

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Be sure to post pictures afterward. I haven't had the opportunity to watch the Chicago Marathon since 2006, since I left Chicago the following spring. The route would go right past my apartment and made Sundays a challenge to get on the EL, but I always loved it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.