1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Restoration

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by louellacasandile, Jul 3, 2012.

1. louellacasandile

louellacasandile Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Chungli City, Taiwan
    Louel Lacasandile
    Hi! Do you guys know a way how to restore the physical appearance of old lenses. I have an Olympus OM 50mm and it really looks used, not abused, but was definitely used a lot before.

There is no problem with the image quality from the lens, I just want it to look cleaner, shinier perhaps.

Thank you so much. I was looking around sites like lifehacker but I can't find articles about this. Thanks in advance to your replies.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you're talking about cleaning, then the best product I have found is ROR (Residual Oil Remover). It does a great job of eliminating all of the accumulated gunk and making a lens look new.

If you're looking to go beyond cleaning (touching up paint, etc.), then I can't help you. I don't mind if my lenses show some outward signs of use, in fact, I find that it adds to their character.

3. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    For small dings (few) I will use a non permanent retouch pen, makes a good job and comes out nice with alcohol.
    My advice is not to try to repaint old cameras or lenses. The value of a repainted lens or camera will be actually less than of the original used lens.
    Car paint is not strong enough for this type of work and the paint needs to be baked - it will come off after some time even if you use a primer.
    Avoid any product to clean your cameras but if you do, apply it first to a microfiber cloth and then to your gear in small amounts. wipe it off immediately.

4. louellacasandile

louellacasandile Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Chungli City, Taiwan
    Louel Lacasandile
    thank you for your replies. i will do this when i finish my defense. i will also post some before and after pictures here.