Lens rentals near PA?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BillW, Jan 15, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Having just picked up a G5, I'd like to try some lenses other than the kit lens (14-42) that came with it. It's slow at f5.6, and I'd like to see if there's a major difference in using something like a faster prime lens (in terms of image quality)

Does anyone know of a reasonable rental service? I looked into getting a Panasonic 20mm from borrowlenses and lensrental but by the time you add the shipping and insurance, you're up to about $50.

Unfortunately there are no camera stores near me that I could go to and try the lenses on the shelf.

I'm located in Scranton, PA, FWIW.

2. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    There's a Calumet in South Philly but I don't know if they rent m43 or not.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    BillW, there is a pretty big difference shooting the 20 or other faster primes vs the kit lens. Best way to see that for yourself is to buy used and take a nice long test drive. If you scan the classifieds here and on FredMiranda you can find pretty decent deals that will allow you to re-sell with only a nominal loss if you decide not to keep the lens.

I've taken that approach for a while now with no regrets. Besides saving some cash it also gives you an unlimited evaluation period, rather than just a few days if you rent.

4. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    If you are thinking about the 20 at all, you will be amazed at how much better it is than the kit lens. In good light and outside, the kit lenses are very good. Inside is a totally different story. You can crop better quality images from the 20mm than from the kit lens zoomed in. And now that the 25 is becoming so popular, the 20 can be had for a steal.

Using the 20 was as much of an Oh Wow moment for me as it was the first time I used my E-PL1 after years of point and shoots.

Note: I am just an amateur, so take my advice as such.

5. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    To second what Demiro just said, even after shipping and paypal fees, you would probably be out less than $50.

6. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Borrowlenses.com and other online rental services are great for that. I don't think there is a huge selection of m4/3 lenses but there are a few.

7. reva

reva Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2010
    South Jersey (Philly!)
    Dave
    I believe BorrowLenses.com just opened up a distrobution center not too far from you if i recall.

I only know in the city, there is Calumet, and Webbcam that both do rental stuff, (I haven't been by the webbcam store in a while to see if they've got much by way of m43 yet)

8. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Thanks, reva. The PA locations are over 2 hours drive from me, in the Philly area.
    On the other hand, I'm only about 90 minutes from Unique Photo in NJ.