lens recommendations for short films?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Pesca, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Pesca

Pesca New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2014
    Hi all,

Just looking for some feedback regarding the lenses that I currently have vs ones I should look into getting.

I recently bought a barely used secondhand Lumix G6 (previously had a GH2) and I'm interested in making short films ( interviews, documentaries, random artsy stuff etc..some handheld, some with a tripod).

I've got 3 micro 4/3 lenses at the moment - 20mm f/1.7 Lumix, the 14-42mm Lumix kit lens, 45mm f/1.8 Olympus. I also have a and a manual legacy lens which I plan on keeping around - a Pentax-M 1.7 50mm.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on what lens would complement the 20mm panny and the 45mm Oly for filmmaking. I'm debating whether I should sell the 14-42 kit lens and possibly buy a longer zoom lens. Up until now the main reason I've been holding onto it is because it's the only one of the 3 with OIS. I do a bit of still photography here and there, but my primary interest is in video. I'm on a fairly tight budget, so secondhand is fine. I'm wondering if there's anything out there that might go for $200 or under secondhand that would complement the two prime lenses that I already have (and the kit zoom lens if it's worth holding onto).

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I would say 'something stabilised'. As for focal length, that depends on how you like framing your shots...

3. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I think your pretty covered with focal lengths. If you want something longer a 60/2.8 from Sigma is nice and cheap.
    Another way to go is adapter and get some really cheap Minolta lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.