Lens recommendations for new G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by acl38355, Jan 6, 2013.

1. acl38355

acl38355 New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2013
    West TN
    Hello all,
    I am a new owner of the G3 and was wondering what are some good, low cost lens solutions vs buying the expensive 4/3 lenses. I understand that by using various adapters, I can use non 4/3 lenses but am new to photography and don't really know what are good lenses and which are not good. Any help is appreciated.

2. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Take a look in the Adapted Lens forum for lots of examples:
    Adapted Lenses - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

Common options include:
    -Normal lenses: 45-60mm, generally very fast (f/1.4-f/2.0), fairly small. Nice portrait lenses, and tend to be very sharp. Not very expensive (well under $100 for many).
    -Telephoto lenses: There are some pretty good f/2.8 and f/3.5 and f/4.5 telephotos out there in various focal lengths. Some of these are quite good. Others are pretty soft.

In general, stick to prime lenses made by camera makers (e.g. Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Konica). Your best bargains will be in mounts that are no longer available (e.g. since you can mount most 1950's Nikon MF lenses on a modern Nikon DSLR, they're still worth quite a bit).

There are some very good lenses by 3rd part manufacturers, though, so do your research.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    I assume you have the P14-42 that came with the kit, use it for awhile.
    This is a good walk around lens with wide to short telephoto ability.
    Inspect the pictures you took and see what you are missing.
    If it is low light then get the P20 for telephoto get any of the P45-xxx zoom.

I would recommend getting a legacy prime only after you have a basic :43: lens kit.
    You need to remember that legacy lenses need manual focus, lack stabilization and are prone to CA. For every day use they will slow you down. In my last trip to Rome I took two legacy lenses the Olympus OM 50MM F/1.8 and the JCPenney 135mm F/2.8, I tried to use as much as possible. The problem was that I got lower percentage of keepers from them, due to technical problems.
    The problems were missed focus, blur from shake, CA and softness in low F number.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Since you are new,
    I'm going to go against the manual-adapted lens thought process (because there is the realistic possibly of frustration) and instead, I'll mention some cheap, native, lenses.

1) Keep that kit lens! (the one that came with it)
    2) Reach: Lumix 45-200 can be found for a good price
    3) Wide Prime: Lumix 14mm can also be found for a good price

There are of course others but this is just one recommendation of many that I'm sure you'll get. :smile:
  5. acl38355

acl38355 New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2013
    West TN
    Yes....I have the supplied 14-42 lens. Works great. I will probably look towards some Minolta lenses since they seem to be a bargain (price wise). I would like a telephoto outfit, so I will do some research. Thanks.
  6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    14 and 45 for sale

I'm listing a 14mm panny and a 45mm oly in the buy and sell. That said, the 14-45mm panny performs on the wide end just as well and close to as well on the long end, albeit not as fast, so no bokeh or indoor flashless shots. The 50 mm 1.4 - 1.8 legacy lens are mostly very good and cheap.
  7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    The toughest part of starting in photography is figuring out what you want to do and what equipment you prefer. Your kit lens is fine, I agree the Panasonic 14-45mm is better but you will not find an immediate benefit from the subtle improvement.

I am going to second the idea of the Panasonic 45-200mm zoom lens. It is really a nice lens and they can be bought used for less than $175. This setup will cover the most commonly used focal lengths (14 - 200). Spend some time reading and take lots of pictures. You will begin to find the limits of your lenses and be in a much better position to choose a lens that will satisfy you.