Lens recommendations for capturing Andromeda or Orion Nebula

ianpiper

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ian Piper
Hi,

I'm a bit of a newcomer in this topic, so I'm looking for advice. I've seen a lot of very impressive images here of things like Jupiter, Andromeda and the Orion Nebula, but it looks like most of them are taken using a telescope and many with CCD cameras. I would like to use my E-M1 III with a suitable lens, so I'm looking for advice in particular on good lenses to fit to my camera in order to be able to close in on these objects. I've been watching some interesting videos by Nico Carver (like this one:
) where he is using a Canon full frame camera, a 200mm lens and some complex processing to get really wonderful images. So I'm guessing that if I have a MFT lens of at least 100mm focal length I could get a similar reach. Does that make sense?

Can anyone suggest suitable lenses for this purpose? I can't afford the really high end Olympus and Panasonic prime and zoom lenses (£2300 for a 200mm lens?) but I could probably stretch to perhaps half that. For example, I could consider the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens if that is enough reach. I don't mind manual focus or large/heavy lenses, and while I understand the need for fast apertures, I'm willing to compromise here a little here because I can take more images for a stack. Image quality is the important thing.

TwoShoes

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
You are pretty close to correct here, I'm using my Olympus EM-1 Mark 3 and my 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro Lens. I took some shots at 150mm of the Andromeda Galaxy last night and I would prefer to have a 300mm lens to get up close. I just set up the MC-2.0 Teleconverter with the 40-150mm lens and I'm about to go try to get some good long 5-6 minute exposures of Peleides tonight.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
While it's a wormhole, you can buy a decent telescope and tracking equatorial mount for a lot less than most decent long focus camera lenses.

Mine is an f/7 560mm refractor. I've taken some decent photos of the transit of Venus with it.

e.g.

E-510_JAK_2012-_6066811_Ew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom