lens recommendation?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nardoleo, Jul 3, 2013.

1. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Hi, i am currently having a tough time thinking if i should add the panasonic x zooms (12-35 & 35-100) to my setup.

Firstly, i have been a prime user, loving my oly 12, pana 25 and the oly 45. However, at times i really hate to have to change lens often, especially during a holiday or helping to photography a event.

I have some zooms in my setup too, the oly 12-50 and the oly 9-18 lens.

my question is do you think adding the panasonic zooms will be a big boost to my setup. if so, do you think it will replace my oly 12 and the oly 12-50?

What do you think i should replace if i am to add in the 2 zooms or what other zooms would you recommend (i definitely have to off load some lenses to accommodate the 2 pana zoom lenses.

Any recommendations or suggestions are most welcome.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    If you have the funds both lens will be a good addition. I consider the P12-35 and reading about it it compares nicely to the O12. Regarding the P35-100 you have nothing in the >50mm range so there is nothing to compare in your kit. If you sell the O12 and the O12-50 the P12-35 will be very useful and you will get for almost nothing. Keep the P25 and O45 for low light and consider getting a 35-100 or 45-1XX for longer reach if you need and slimmer budget.
  3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    The style of photography you like will have a big impact on the lens choice, but I'll throw my oar in a little anyway.

Not knowing the individual lenses you are refering to I'll no doubt miss one or two issues.

Personally I use zooms most of the time, but I wouldn't loose the 12mm prime I'm sure it will come into it's own in low light, has great IQ and is light weight...
    I don't see the reason for wanting the 12-35 over the 12-50 - is the IQ that much better?
    So I'd be after the 35-100 (or similar) whilst keeping the rest of your kit.
  4. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    For travels I only carry with three lenses:

12-50 for 95% shooting

A prime for low light: 17mm 1.8, 20mm 1.7 or 25mm 1.4

The Samyang 7.5mm for wide angle
  5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Here is a similar topic I started several weeks ago. The back and forth can give you some idea of what members think of a related question.

I bought the Panasonic 12-35 and ended up selling my beautiful 12mm.

+ The 12-35 seems like a well built lens and gets relatively high marks on image quality. There are times when 35 is simply not long enough and a 12-50 would be nice. I like the optical image stabilization. It makes focusing and framing very easy on the E-PM2 because the image on the screen is stabilized. The only downside I have encountered so far is with size and weight. This is a solid lens and the camera feels more like a DSLR than a Pen Mini when I have this thing mounted (which is most of the time now). The 12mm is more in line with the Pen "small size) concept IMO but lens choices are about compromises.
  6. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    I have sort of narrowed it down to 2 setups to be used in a variety of suitations.

Setup 1
    Olympus 12-50mm*
    Olympus 9-18mm*

Olympus 12mm*
    Panasonic 25mm*
    Olympus 45mm*
    Olympus 75mm

Setup 2
    Panasonic 12-35mm
    Panasonic 35-100mm
    Olympus 9-18mm x

Panasonic 25mm x
    Olympus 45mm x
    Olympus 60mm

Which of this setup do you feel is the most well rounded in terms of IQ and practicality?
    Or maybe you have a different setup for yourself.

Thanks for your comments in advance.
  7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Number 2....the only think i'd miss from setup 1 is the 75mm. If you dont shoot macro that often, cough up a bit more and get the 75mm instead of 60. There are many cheap yet excellent legacy macro lens options
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Setup 2.

I also agree with Sam though that I would rather swap out the m.Zuiko 60mm/2.8 Macro with the m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 and add a more affordable legacy macro lens instead.
  9. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Maybe you only need one more lens for a perfect setup:

Oly 12mm* or 9-18mm *
    PL 25mm*

And sell the rest!!

Good luck with your decision....