1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens ratings w/non-scientific testing

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jimevidon, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jimevidon

jimevidon Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    I just received my Metabones M mount to M43 adapter. It is very well made and all my M lenses fit and focus nicely. I'll not display the pics. because I was only shooting at books on my shelf to check out sharpness and contrast and I had to use the camera flash for proper exposure due to the chosen aperture size and low ISO #.

All were shot at f5.6, ISO 100 and camera setting at Aperture preferred.
    Camera: Lumix GF1.

So far, the ratings,are not surprising given the lenses reputations and design.
    On one to four, four being the best:
    Lens: Sharpness & Contrast

CV Color Skopar 25mm: 3& 3
    Leica C 40mm: 4& 3
    CV Nokton 35mm 5& 4
    Pan.:Lumix 14-45 @ 45mm: 5& 4
    Leica DR Summicron 50 mm: 5+& 5+

The f 2.0 Summicron, not surprisingly, was the very best, even though it is an older formula dating back to the 1970's. The real surprise was the Lumix kit zoom lens that was right up there with the highly rated 35mm f1.2 Nokton and the Leica except for contrast which is really a matter of taste. German lenses are traditionally high contrast while Japanese lenses shoot more for the middle of the road.

Incidentally, the Metabones adapter works superbly and I have the comments on this M43 forum to thank. My only complaint is that the locking tab takes some excess pressure for it to release the lens for removal. But better it locks securely than not.

Jim:smile: