1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Prices in China

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ijm5012, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Does anyone know how prices on lenses are in China (particularly Shanghai) compared to other parts of the world (particularly USA). I'm going over to China at the beginning of September, and have a couple lenses I'm interested in purchasing. I didn't know if it would make financial sense to buy them while I'm over there compared to purchasing them here in the US.

Any insight is appreciated, thank you!

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    When I was there a couple of years ago they were quite a bit more expensive than in the US. Just the same, there is a nice all photography equipment shopping center (Xing Guang) there at 300 Luban Lu that is worth walking through.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    if you buy in big shops there's no way it can be cheaper than in other parts of the wolrd, but if you have a friend here, every Chinese uses Taobao (I know it's a bit exaggerated), and you'll find more than enough amazing deals.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha, that's like finding eBay deals though...

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I myself am selling the 19 2.8 for about US $115 on taobao and have received a few inquiries, not much demand though. Several times I sold spare lenses pretty fast because there are over dozens of millions of people trade on taobao, nothing is impossible.

6. ptan55

ptan55 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    Amherst, NY
    It's hard enough to fight off the scammers on English language ebay. It would be even riskier buying online if you don't read or write mandarin. Also beware of fake goods.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    FYI, China has high (hidden) taxes on many products, however products made in China seem to get a break.

Also they are suffering from high inflation.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That might only be for certain types of products. Most Olympus m4/3 gear is made in China but are just as expensive or more so...

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Anyone know about retail prices in Taiwan (versus USA)?

I might be there for a few days in October; retail only - no TaoBao, etc. please.

I'm considering the Oly 75mm or 60mm; 75-300 II; 40-150mm Pro; 7-14mm Pro.
    (I know the last two aren't available yet)

Thanks,
    Barry

10. MarcG19

MarcG19 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    Maryland, USA
    I'd say don't bother buying name brand camera stuff in Taiwan unless you live there; in my experience buying there (or Japan) is equivalent to buying at US MSRP. There are some third party accessories also available, but they are generally the same stuff you get off ebay for about the same price (though one store has a load of such accessories for all cameras and unlike ebay you can hold it and look at it before you buy - if you really want this place's address, I can give it to you).

I would recommend sightseeing instead; Lonely Planet's Taiwan guide is excellent, especially if you're outdoor oriented or an international-backpacker type. Don't go for any big name things (beyond the National Palace Museum and the Shilin night market) or sign up for guided tours.

• Like Like x 1