Lens pouches?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jamespetts, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    What exactly are lens pouches for? One came with the lovely 12-40mm f/2.8, but I am slightly confused as to how exactly one is supposed to use it. It is not something that can be carried on its own strap like a lens case; it is simply made of fabric, so provides little, if any, protection for the lens when stored in a larger, non-dedicated camera bag; do they have any practical utility? Olympus seem to sell the things as optional extras for the non-Pro lenses, although Panasonic and Samyang include them for free with their lenses.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I keep my lenses in pouches when not on the camera. It protects the finish when in a bag without dividers. I prefer heavier, neoprene type pouches but I do use the cloth pouches as well.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The little bags that come with some lenses are for storing them. It is nice to have them and the quality varies from just better than a burlap sack to fine velvet{usually someplace in between}. I personally don't use them but rather store my lenses in cases with foam dividers. There are pouches for carrying lenses, most good camera bag makers have them and they work for storing as well as hanging on your belt.