1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens pouches?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ssgreenley, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    So we've all learned by now that Olympus seems to have no intention of providing lens pouches. Do ya'll use lens pouches inside your bags? It's been tough finding anything small enough for my kit lens or correctly sized for my 75-300... Any suggestions?

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't. Maybe I should?

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Never did. I'm thinking of using a flash pouch just because it's in the accessory pocket and the contacts are so thin, but, generally, the inside of my photobag is not any more dangerous to lenses than the inside of the pouch :smile:

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    So annoying that Oly's high end lenses do not include a pouch, let alone a hood. I like the quality of the pouches included with the PLs.

5. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Do your lenses bang up against each other? Or does your bag have a separate, neat pocket for each lens? Maybe I'm using the wrong bag!

6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've never used a lens pouch or anything like it in my whole life. I use LowePro bags, a Nova 190 these days, all the LowePro bags have compartments to fit the lenses. A lens pouch seems distinctly uncomfortable to me; I want to be able to take out a lens, take off the rear cap, exchange it with the one on the camera and put the rear cap back on the other one, within 10 seconds at the most. Almost all my lenses have a filter and lens hood permanently fitted, the Panny 7-14mm being the obvious exception.

7. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Well, no and no. My bad (regular shoulder bag, Lowepro nova 2aw) has 3 compartments, but in 2 of them I made additional separators (using Kata kit) so I can put in 5 lenses separated by padded material (much more padded than any pouch).
    I never do BTW have 5 lenses with me, but sometimes I even put a small lunch box into one of the compartments and use the remaining two for 2-3 lenses + cam.

8. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Ya'll are opening my eyes to a totally different way of operating--I'm excited! Do you ever feel like your pancakes or smaller lenses get sort of lost at the bottom of the bag? Perhaps I'm going to have to look at modifying my bag...

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have plenty of nice Olympus suede lens pouches from my Four-Thirds lenses. I don't need any more. ;)

I don't even use them anyways, unless I'm just transporting a single lens. My bag has inserts and padding and my only real problem with packing is not having enough space in the bags. Which extra pouches will only make worse. Plus I need quick access to my lenses. ;)

The suede Olympus lens pouches and the lens bags for their bigger lenses are really sweet, though.

10. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Yeah, the internets is filled with people who say their lenses don't fit in the recommended pouches/bags though, and I don't know of anyone who sells them nearby to try out. It seems like bags with individual cubbies is all the rage though, so maybe I'll need to rethink that situation rather than spend ages looking for appropriate pouches...

11. I've got a few nice pouches from my Canon L lenses, but Would never use them. As the others have mentioned they are a pain when changing lenses. If I am carrying lenses in a bag that doesn't have a seperate compartment for every lens, I carry a couple of those small, synthetic, lint-free travel towels or similar and use them to keep the lenses seperate.

12. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    If you look on eBay for neoprene lens bags you'll find all sizes - should you still want to pursue that. Some also sell sets...about $2-3 each.

13. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I picked up a few of the neoprene pouches on ebay and they are surprisingly nice - but I almost never use them, except for a few of the bigger lenses I may throw into a back pack.

What I find perfect for me: I just bought a few extra m4/3 rear caps, sanded them a bit, and glued two of them together back to back like the old Leica double rear caps (picture stolen from the web):

leica-r-double-rear-lens-cap-2%5Bekm%5D889x500%5Bekm%5D.49-2933-p.

That way I can combine a longer and a shorter lens and maximize the use of the depth of my camera bags without things rattling around and scratching each other up.

Stefan

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've used a lot of both, bags with no inserts, and bags filled with inserts. Losing the inserts gives you a lot more space to hold a lot more, but it also makes setup and tear down of equipment a PAIN. It takes forever to constantly pack and unpack all your lenses, flash, etc. out of pouches, at least when you use as much as I do on a shoot. Having a pre-organized cubbie-filled bag uses up more space but will save you an incredible amount of time wasted out of your life. You can sit down and watch a tv episode at the end of the day, instead of returning home from a shoot too late to do anything but crash on the bed.

15. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Wow, that ingenious :2thumbs:

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I am a fan of double back caps, but not to carry two lenses in the bag. (Shamelessly promoting old post: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/shades-back-caps-commentary-6182/) Double back caps make changing lenses a two-handed affair rather than a three-handed one.

Re pouches, buy some heavy hunting boot socks or tube socks. Cut to the desired length, turn inside out and sew across the cut end. Turn rightside out and you have a pouch -- probably for less than a dollar. (Hunting boot socks are long enough that the pouch is cut out of the straight leg part, before you get to the heel curve.)

• Like Like x 1
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I never use pouches with a bag. For me it is all about speed ... getting in and out of the the bag quickly is a principal concern. When I loan out lenses they always get packed in a bag.

I do have a good friend that I shoot with nearly weekly. He uses tube socks cut down and fitted to the appropriate size (turned inside out). His equipment looks much better than mine ... but I get better shots. :smile:

Gary

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey ... you beat me to the punch. LOL

G

19. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I like the idea of the socks. It's similar to what I use. Red and blue handkerchiefs. I only have one native lens which is mostly on the camera for carry. I mostly carry several Minolta lens which I wrap in red handkerchiefs. At present I also carry one M42 mount lens (Helios 44) in a blue handkerchief. It's easy to grab what you need and pull the wrap off. Incidentally, my bag is a fishing bag with some movable dividers. Works great.

20. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    I love those double lens backs! I may try to make myself some...

Regarding socks, well, hmm, doesn't it seem a bit ghetto fabulous rolling around with $1000 worth of glass, plastic, and metal wrapped in a sock?! I promise I'm not trying to be offensive, and I'm not one that's generally concerned with appearance, but I think I would feel a bit self conscious pulling out an old gym sock while trying to feel like a serious photographer...

• Like Like x 1