Lens Pouch Suggestions for Olympus m43 Primes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by raceyourself, Jul 20, 2014.

1. raceyourself

raceyourself New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2014
    Hi all. I have a few m43 Olympus primes (17/25/45) that I use interchangeably (plus a 12-40mm f/2.8 and 20mm). There's more than enough space in my camera bag but only three compartments so I'm looking for a lens pouch that's small for an Olympus prime. Preferably padded so I can dump a few prime lenses in my camera bag and they're still protected. Thanks!
  2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Have a look on eBay for "neoprane lens pouch", I have a few different ones from there. Another option is to have a poke around a large camera store, they could well have things like that floating around. Panasonic's lens storage bag usually supplied with the 20mm is very nice but pricey and won't fit my 45mm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    +1 I bought a set with three different neoprene pouches en eBay, cheap and good.
  4. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    I use the foldover neoprene pouches from Optech. The smallest size (251) is a snug fit for the 45mm with the hood reversed but not overly large for the lens with no hood. The size 253 pouch fits my 60mm macro like it was made for it. You can order them from B&H or Amazon for about $10 each. You might be able to find something cheaper on ebay but these are already so inexpensive that searching for cheaper alternatives did not seem worth the few extra minutes it would have taken.

The pouches work well. They are light and provide some padding without being overly bulky. Like any neoprene pouch with a tight fitting cap they will trap moisture so I would not use them for long term storage. I prefer the foldover type because they seal up better than the drawstring type. I read reviews where a couple of people dropped their lens into water while it was in the pouch and they kept the lens dry. Since I use these when hiking the extra protection from the elements is important. I am not planning on dropping a lens into a creek but rain happens.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    What said above. Plus, I really can't understand why Oly can't throw in the package hood and pouch like Pana does.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Teddys

Teddys New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    Believe it or not . I use ankle height, thick socks.
    have for years .. Works great.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Another thing you might consider is to glue 2 rear caps together (back to back, obviously) - that way you can "stack" 2 primes in one compartment and not worry about them scratching against each other.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I've been using the pouches from old travel computer mice. Some are neoprene, some just have a soft lining.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raceyourself

Jun 20, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! My 20mm doesn't have a pouch so I'm using a small camera pouch I got from a Daiso. The Optech 251 looks perfect, will try it out for my 17mm/25mm/45mm. Thanks!
  10. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    These are nice quality. You can buy them individually or as a set.
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    That is what I'm using. The large size will fit a 12-40 and hood, or a 40-150 and hood. Won't work on a 75-300 and hood though. I'd rather have them a little large than too small.
  12. Freddyfish

Freddyfish New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2012
    I have discovered that beer coozies make wonderful lens pouches and they are free every where
  13. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    another user of these awesome lens pouches.
  14. raceyourself

Jun 20, 2014
    Any other suggestions for a lens pouch for the 12-40mm? Or what size Optech fits that one snugly (with a lens hood reversed)?
  15. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ

I use them for my small primes and also for my 75/1.8.

Appropriate protection without being bulky.
  16. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    This will fit the 12-40 with the hood reversed.

The next to smallest of these will also fit, although a little loose. It does have a clip that can be handy.
  17. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Maybe this (or one size smaller)
  18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Lots of great ideas on here!

I use either neoprene cases or - if I'm concerned about the amount of space they take up and I'm not worried about hits, only scratches from being in contact with each other - the velour drawstring pouches my tripod heads came in.

Not my photo...found on Google...the pouch in question is sitting on the ground:

19. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1